In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Started Chemo Today

Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2023 in General Discussion

Now, that's true, and the way some posters here are, they'd be thinking that I'm near death.

But I'm not.

Skin cancer has returned to my left ear, in the same place it was a few years ago. They took a biopsy and it came up as some kind of polysyllabic "transitional" thing. It was a carcinoma before, but I'm not sure what it is now. Anyway, I have to apply a topical chemo cream (which I didn't know existed) for eight hours a day, five days a week for six weeks, and then after a few more weeks, minor surgery.

I joked that I always wondered what Vincent Van Gogh felt like, but I was assured I'd still have an ear. (They didn't say whose - or what's. I'm imagining one from a Bassett hound...)

On the up side, I now have a valid excuse not to wear my hearing aids, so it's all good! No condolences needed, guys and gals.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭✭

Glad it isn't more serious. I was just reading about the topical chemo treatment and it sounds like it is quite common. It is supposed to kill any fast growing cells that may be cancer. My question is, how does the medicine know which ones are fast growing?

I mentioned this to the boss and she said one of the church ladies had the treatment last year on her cheek and it looked like heck for about 2 months. Kind of like a blister looks when the top skin is missing. Now you couldn't tell there was anything there and she looks normal. Best wishes for a positive outcome. Bob

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭✭

just in case you need a new ear after all. 😀

I hope everything goes smoothly and you recover completely.

🇺🇲 "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson 🇺🇲

• Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭

Sending prayers your way... Everything will be ok❤️🙏

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options

My lady Doc says the cream can cause intense irritation, scabbing, and weeping. Or have no side effects at all. The directions say to apply it at bedtime, but I'm a side sleeper, so to keep from treating my pillow more than me, I'm using it in daytime.

Only the first day, but so far, nada.

Kev, I had one of those ears with my lunch today. You could say I'm a colonel full of kernels.

• Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck Rocky.

My FIL just had a chunk about the size of a marble removed from the bridge of his nose (got into the bone). No glasses for an indefinite period of time and disfigured for life. He's dealing with it very well so far and begins treatment next week.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,235 ******
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

I pray all goes well for you. This is nothing to take lightly.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

Get checked, guys. This is my third go-around with skin cancer. The first time was a melanoma and the Doc called it a "Six Monther" because if you ignore it for six months, you need to write your will.

The Noma cousins are Mel and Carson. Mel is the evil one. Carson isn't as bad, but he's still nasty.

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,834 ✭✭✭✭

As cancers go this sounds like a good one. Can cancer and good one can be used in the same sentence? You know what I'm trying to say. Sounds like you got this!!

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

No condolences, But We will keep you in our thoughts and Prayers. Oakie

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you still have a positive attitude and your humor is still intact, that’s always a good sign. You’re going to be alright. Prayer is a powerful thing.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭

Keep up the cream . Getting ready to start on a round of something similar again. Got multiple precancerous sun damage spots that have to go . I have had three cancers removed so far and am missing a chunk of my nose also

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options

It will turn out to be a nothing burger. I've outlived my predicted expiration date by more than half a century, and this bullet ain't monogrammed.

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck with it, Rocky. I've got one on my face right now, waiting for the knife. For some reason, I couldn't do the cream, so have to get MOHS in a few weeks.

Wish I could take back some of the sun exposure I've had over the years, but it's tough to avoid working on boats, and I can sweat away just about any sunscreen.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭

Frogdog ,two of mine have been MOH's. They took cartilage from behind my ear to build up my nose .Still looks like an angry dog bit out a chunk of the end

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

Best wishes, Rocky, from someone who knows exactly what you’re going through.

Had melanoma behind my right ear 1 1/2 years ago. Tumors showed up at the base of my neck necessitating a 6 1/2 surgery to remove 12 lymph glands (six were cancerous.)

Immunotherapy comprised my adrenal glands, steroids for the rest of my life.

Keep positive thoughts and you can’t ‘pinch’ every nurse. Ask me how I know. 😏

They did save my ear ,,,,,,

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,921 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

Wish you well Rocky, read an article claiming USAF pilots and maintenance people had an unusually high percentage of various cancers. Most claims centered around altitudes and UV radiation for aircrew. MX guys from exposure to JP 4 and Mil-H-5606.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭

Prayers for a great outcome

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,439 ******

Well I sure hope it all turns out as well as you elude to, I've been fairly lucky so far but then again if you don't tell them what is bothering you and even sometimes if you do, docs nowadays don't seem to care much... just my opinion and we all have them, wish for the best.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,092 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear it Rocky! Age does bring more doctors and other medical folk into our lives. I wish you the very best! If you do need an ear, Brownell's has always been my go to for parts.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,801 ✭✭✭✭

Keeping you inour thoughts for the best possible out come

About 12 yrs agoi knew little still notmuch about skin cancer

but a coworker who seemed healthy got it in no time it took him thats when I realized how serious it is

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,525 ******

I've been through 2 MOHS cancer diggings on my left arm and face so far. More to come with a few more "spots" showing up recently. All have been Squamous cell. Wife has had MOHS surgery for Melanoma on her face.

I wish you all the best Rocky, and having a positive outlook like you do is a great plus to a situation where worry only gets you more health trouble! Prayers for full recovery and many more years of a happy life sent.

• Options

The US Goobermint, in all its wisdom, has declared that almost any cancer can be attributed to Agent Orange - except skin cancer. And then they deny that pilots get more skin cancer than the general population due to high altitude cosmic radiation exposure. Nice of 'em, huh?

The good part is that I do get all my meds free. I'm told that these skin chemo creams are spendy otherwise.

I haven't the slightest bit of concern about this. Because I get annual "Full Monty" checks since my last episodes, we caught this one early. (I go back to six month-checks after this.)

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭

I've had 3 cancers removed so far. 2 on my back and 1 on my right temple. No idea why. but I go to my dermatologist on a regular schedule.

Joe

• Options

Just for the halibut (as the fishermen say...) I looked up what my chemo cream costs if I had to buy it. Jeebus what a spread!

The retail price for 24 eensy-weensy packets of Imiquimod is $122. But using one of those discount prescripto apps, it can be had for $12.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭

Imiquimod, that’s what they use for treating genital warts too.

• Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭

best of luck buddy !

sure wish i could use just a cream...