In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 39a

SundanceSundance Member Posts: 1

I had several guns when I was younger and went through a "spell" where I sold all of them. I'm gradually beginning to get some of them back. I had a 39a that bought from "Brendles" when I was just old enough to own my own gun. I can remember at the time there were common issues with color matching on stocks and forearm wood... However, I don't see anything of the sort on anything listed today. At the time, I seem to remember that was a common issue that ran over many years. Just looking to get some "input" on if anyone else remembers this. I want to make sure that if I'm paying premium prices for a replace rifle, that I'm not getting one where the stock has been replaced. I'd appreciate any input you might have.

Also, does the year affect the pricing? I'm looking for good quality gun. It doesn't have to be perfect. Any thoughts on years and value in general.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

I have had quite a few Marlins over the years, and can't recall much about mismatched wood, but do remember hearing vaguely about it. Marlin made many different versions of the 39, and it would take some time to research all of them. What particular model of 39 are you looking for?

• Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭

Look for one with the circled JM acceptance stamp on the barrel.

I've never seen nor heard of color match issues on original wood so it might indicate replacement. Just my personal opinion but would avoid the ones with the cheesy diamond checkering. It degrades the appearance of an otherwise elegant rifle.

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭
    edited February 9

After condition (and possible specialty models), one of the biggest factors to the price is if it is a JM Marlin and not Remlin or Ruger marked. I know for the 45-70 model 1895 it can be a 25%+ difference in price based on that little JM marking.

I don't remember any color match issues either.

One easy way to get a gauge on recent price you can use the GB Advanced Search. I did the search for you with search terms "Marlin 39" and here's the results. You can refresh the link periodically to keep updating it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Lever-Action-Rifles/search/completed?Keywords=marlin%2039&Timeframe=1&Sort=1&PageSize=96

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.