In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Grips Question....

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,414 ***** Forums Admin

Do the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk use the same grip panels? TIA for any input.

Comments

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

In the older model Super Black, I’m pretty sure they had a larger grip frame. Not positive on the newer ones.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,385 ******
    edited August 2023

Usually not the same, but some manufactures may try to fudge and say some do. My experience it depends upon older newer type of trigger guard shapes and width and single piece vs. 2 piece grips, I have gotten the wrong type several times because they say they will fit, then they don't...

ETA: this is a quote from Alta Mont co.: "The grips for the Blackhawk/Vaquero/Wrangler and its family are not interchangeable with the NEW Vaquero or Super Blackhawk."

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,414 ***** Forums Admin

Ok, thanks guys. I'm looking at factory wood grip panels. This is a first year new model Super Blackhawk. I'll stick with looking at grips that state "Super Blackhawk".

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

There are several different Ruger single action grips. The origional Blackhawk (both .44 & .357) and Single Six grips were XR3 and changed later to a slightly larger style and were marked XR3 RED (for redesigned). The Super Blackhawk grips were larger still. If my .44 Special is typical, the newest model Blackhawks have grips (and frames) that are the same size as the on the original .357.

Anyhow, short answer: Super Blackhawk grips will fit, non-Supers will not!