In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loading .452 bullets in 45 auto?

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1009008722 Wondering if I can use these Hornady 250 grain .452 bullets in my 45 acp cartridges? I can use data for 230 grain and reduce the charge by 10-15% if that would work. Would the difference in diameter .452 versus .451 make that much of a difference? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023

The rule for safe reloading is to ALWAYS use published loads and NEVER extrapolate what you THINK may be a safe load. There are published loads for 250 gr jacketed bullets. I am not sure about the .452 diameter raising pressures. I think I used to shoot .452 lead bullets in competition years ago. That particular bullet you reference looks like it may cause feeding problems. Good luck.

Added: You could slug the barrel and get a true measurment of the groove-to-groove diameter. Maybe it is larger than .451.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

.452 is a standard diameter for 45ACP bullets. I have shot tens of thousands of them. The .452 bullet may live a visible slight bulge in the case near the bullet base but it has absolutely zero impact upon feeding, firing or safety. Juat use a published load and have fun.