In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger SR-22 (AR Style rifle) Sight In - (Pics Added)

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2023 in General Discussion

Heck Yeah!!

Shot 50 rounds. Most on paper Targets at 50 yards. 3 shot groups, (4 targets) until fully dialed in. Most groups were tight. Firefield "Impact," red dot (no magnification.) performed/adjusted admirably. Quite pleased.

Was shooting off a bench, with sandbags. Friend/next door neighbor spotting.

After we got it dialed in, started shooting 3" metal swinging gongs. Last 8 shots were all hits. 4, 3" swinging gongs at 50 yards. Left to right 4 gong set, 1 sec per gong. 4 hits. Let them stop swinging, 4 more hits left to right, 1 sec. per gong.

Quite happy. My next door neighbor/buddy was impressed. So was I.

Very Happy w/my trade. 👍😁

Comments

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,792 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a good time to me !!!!!

• Options

It was, Sir.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself. 👍😁

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭

Fancy shooting’ pardner.

🇺🇲 "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson 🇺🇲

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,916 ✭✭✭✭

Always been a fan of all the Mark 22s. Must check out the SR. Good to see your happy with yours.

• Options
    edited September 2023

Just be aware @chiefr, there are a couple different SR-22's out there. Mine was one of those made in 2009 and only produced a couple years. Withdrawn due to "High Production Costs." Very well built with Nordic Industries accessories.

After that they came out with another (same name) SR-22. Lesser overall quality and accessories by ATI. (American Tactical Industries, Philippines.) Known as the SR-22 ATI.

Just be aware of the differences and quality, Sir.

The latter is about half the cost, of the former.

*I see/understand (now) you are speaking Handguns, I am talking Rifles. I forgot Ruger had named both the rifle/handgun the same.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,088 ✭✭✭✭

So I don't have to go to all the hassle of looking it up on Ruger, what is an SR 22? Their semiauto .22?

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭

SR22 is a small frame 22lr. Comes with either 4.2" or 3.5" barrel.

That's some impressive shooting for such a small handgun. My 3.5" is definitely not in that accuracy range.

• Options

Ruger, (unfortunately,) named both their handgun the SR-22 and their AR style semi-auto rifle the SR-22. I am talking about the rifle. I had a previous post about trading for one.

Just tried to post a photo of mine. (As usual,) Not going through.

• Options

And @chiefr, I am a Browning Buckmark (Handgun) fan. (Own several.)

One Competition model I own, with a Tru-glo sight, might be able to pull off the 4 gongs and then another 4 gongs in a row at 50 yards.

*Would be tough though.

• Options

My "Early model," SR-22. Have not seen another set up quite like it.

Me Likee. 👍😁

• Options

Nah, there just way old, Steve. (15-16 yrs +/-) They could use a good scrubbing though. They are lighter around the edges, due to being worn down through extended use. Most comfortable footwear ever devised by man. IMHO.

Crocs when worn flat, are downright deadly on wet surfaces. I have learned the hard way. Need to replace em' w/"Off Road Crocs." (Yes, there is such a thing.) Much beefier "Off Road" soles/traction. 👍😁

• Options

Beside a Ruger AR - 5.56.

The SR -22 (Early Model) is beefier and heavier. (Thicker barrel, handguard, receiver, etc.) Accesories by Nordic Industries.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice, I've been looking at those lately. My buddy's brother has one and he let me shoot it the last time we were at his range. Sweet little rifle and pretty darned accurate too.

What years are considered "early" with regard to the heavier barrel etc. ?

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,267 ✭✭✭✭

I love my little M&P AR15-22.

• Options
    edited September 2023

From the limited research I've done on mine @bullshot, the Early Version came out in 2009. Only was out a cpl. years due to "High Production costs." I'm not exactly sure when they stopped making them. (A dead giveaway, is the tubular monolithic front aluminum handguard by Nordic Industries.)

On mine, it is the only one I have seen with a full length Picatinny rail and the A2 Carry Handle sights. They come with only a partial rail (over the receiver) and a small 2" (?) Rail up front. (And) have fold down sights.

There are three on the Auction side right now. $750-$899. (New) The rest of what I see are the later production SR-22 ATI. (More Tacticool looking.) Lower production costs. (American Tactical Industries is Philippine based.) New ones run in the $450 range. (Both are based on the 10/22 platform and mags.)

I lucked out, in that the "Gun Guru," at my Pawn shop/Gun shop, was unaware of the differences. Merely consulted his "Blue Book" and assigned it the SR-22 ATI price.

I realized it as soon as he handed it to me and I saw the $450 price tag. I traded a set up worth around $700 for it. Way Happy. 👍😁

*When I did the 4, 3" swinging gongs at 50 yards, left to right in apprx. 4 sec. (Apprx 1 sec per gong) all hits, twice in a row after sighting in my Firefield, I was ALL Smiles. My buddy just looked at me and said "damn." 😮

• Options

I gotta say, what thing I do NOT like about the platform, is no bolt hold back on the last shot. Since this platform is based upon the 10/22, I would assume (yeah, I know) that All 10/22's are like that?

What a crappy design feature, maybe due to the rotary magazine? (Again) Another assumption.

I do not like hearing "click," on the empty round. (BX-25 & BX-25 X 2 mags.) Always thought/had heard that "Dry Firing," a .22 was bad news.

Not extremely happy about that aspect of this new platform.

*(Obviously) Never had a 10/22 before.

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,562 ✭✭✭✭

Shooting is always fun. But good gawd that is an ugly 22 rifle.

• Options

Meh..........................Excellent training platform for my other AR's.

Looks right at home with them also. 👍😁