In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Container at pasture shooting range

CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,298 ✭✭✭

Finally got the container off the trailer and set in the pasture at the shooting range. Been waiting for the cousin to bring down 4 loads of asphalt grindings and cement pieces torn out from a brick patio landscaping job.

Took 4 of us to drag in the gunbench. I have the basic tools in it. Mectic, standard Allen, torq, screwdrivers. Rem oil. Spotting scope on a tripod.

Now the question is what else belongs inside there. Grill? Couch? End walls with windows and walking doors? Inside walls? I don't know. 20ft long is a little short for too much. Figure I can't effectively heat it unless I put up one end wall with a door & window.

I'm mainly tired of having to load everything up to go there and just want to take guns and bullets knowing everything else is there.

Extra binoculars, extra range finder, Harbor Freight spotting scope on a tripod, gun tripod, gun cleaning kit, brazing rod, extra chain, nuts and bolts for target hanging...

FYI, can't just drag it off the rear. Crossmembers get hung up at the top of the beavertail.

Maybe we will lay some brick under the picnic tables and put a roof over them next year.... Just have to make it varmint proof and cattle proof.

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,335 ✭✭✭✭

windows are just an invitation for theives.....

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,683 ✭✭✭✭

Nice looking setup.

• Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭✭

I can bake bread in mine in the summertime, for extra income.

Brandon would be proud of me. No fossil fuels involved when doing the baking.

Put a big lock or two on it and maybe a Security camera sign.

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,510 ✭✭✭✭

A small wood stove would be perfect for you guys. If you have electric, I would also put a Keurig in there and a small refrigerator. You guys could cook off the wood stove. I would also put a first aid kit, fire extinguisher and some bottled water. We never thought we would need a fire extinguisher, until a deflected bullet went into the woods behind us, and started a fire. We ended up burning 2 acres and had to call the forestry fire dept to put it out. We also keep a plastic 55 gallon drum of water, for rainwater, to fight fires now. The fire dept recommended we do this on every range. I think it was a great idea. Oak

• CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,298 ✭✭✭

I was considering a small window air-condition and generator. With a 4ft x 4ft wind inside the 2nd set of cargo doors. Shut the cargo doors and it's completely enclosed. Open the doors and you have a wall with a window.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭

I've been using shipping containers for a long time as a rodent proof storage option. We currently have 3 in use(one 20' for farm chemical storage, one 40' for general storage, and one 20' for Grouch Attack's Tupperware and Thirty One product inventory).

It makes sense to build a screened wall (or maybe a solid wall with windows) and walk in door inside the rear doors. This maintains the vermin and theft protection while allowing easier access during range use.

One of the best options is a solar powered ventilation fan to keep the container from becoming an oven during summer.

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 17,095 ✭✭✭✭

"One of the best options is a solar powered ventilation fan to keep the container from becoming an oven during summer."

That's good thinkin'.

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭

The company I worked for had a few of those for storage of HVAC parts,equipment and filters.They would get hot as an oven in the summer if they just had doors on one end,but the ones like yours that opened on both ends would let the air flow through and the heat would escape and were not bad.That looks like a great set up you have put together.