In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A word of caution about primers, YMMV UPDATED 11/17/23

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

I purchased 5,000 imported small pistol primers in the green boxes from a large supplier last year. Much to my dismay most of them will not fire! The failure rate is well over 50%. Hitting them twice in the 92F will sometimes fire them. The cups are way too thick or hard, not allowing proper ignition or any ignition at all.

I noticed when they do fire, the 120 Gr. cast bullets will keyhole about 25% of the time. To be sure it was the primers I shot several magazines loaded with Federal or Winchester primers in all the 9MM handguns I have and not a single one failed to fire. No bullets keyholed and accuracy was what I expected.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE:

Wondering if there was anything I did to cause the failures I did the following. I seated the bullets .010 deeper to assure they never touched the rifling in these handguns. I used a spare taper crimp die to squeeze the round even more than the book recommendation. There is still enough lip to create proper headspace but it is tighter than normal.

After each step, seating deeper first I tried to shoot them in my G34 Gen 5 and Taurus 92F. Most did not fire. After seating deeper AND added tamper crimp I got the same result. Other rounds loaded with CCI and Winchester primers function flawlessly in both guns. The rounds that failed to fire show good firing pin impact but shallow compared to USA primers.

Next as a last resort I shot them in all three configurations in my AR 9. There were no failures to fire at all. I have over 2,000 of these loaded and it burns my butt they can only be used in the AR 9.

The seller did contact me after I waited over a week and called them to see what was going to be done. They replied to my email asking for pictures, I sent them a couple of days ago, still awaiting a response.

Comments