In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Veterans day

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭

Thank all of you for your service, dedication and love of our country. We owe everything to you men and women, of our armed services, past and present. A grateful nation, set aside a day to honor your service, and it is really appreciated. Not only did you defend our constitution, you defended people of other nations, that needed you in defending their constitution and homeland. You are truly the worlds 911 in time of emergency. Some of our service members, never came home, and some still carry the scars of their sacrifices. Some never saw combat, but were ready to pay the ultimate sacrifice, if they were needed. Thank you one and all. God bless the United States of America, and god bless the US service men and women, from a grateful nation.

Oakie

Comments

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Oakie for the thanks, one of my close friends 🤬 put a local TV news anchor up to calling me yesterday wanting me to do a sit down interview about my VN tour in 69/70, actually a little less than a tour, told her thanks but I wasn't ready, I was still in the process of unpacking my duffel bag, besides I've always been camera shy 😀.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭✭
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023

It has been a very busy week for me.

I started Monday at the High School with their program.

Yesterday started with a presentation at the Elementary school and then the Retirement Home breakfast and ended with the program at the Middle School.

Today I have been asked to put my Jeep and trailer at the grocery store.

Not related, but I am sure it will come up, is a visit to The Toy Box from the Boy Scouts tomorrow.

Oh, I forgot to mention The Toy Box is the building I built to house my military collection (over 9,500 items . . . and counting).

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,521 ✭✭✭✭

“For the veteran, thank you for bravely doing what you’re called to do so we can safely do what we’re free to do.”

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭

My grandfather served on the USS Yorktown, that was sunk at Midway. My Uncle served two tours in Vietnam. My dad was drafted, but couldn't serve as he only had one eye. I had many relatives that all served during Vietnam. My wife's father, and his five siblings, all served in the Marines in Korea. There is actually a story about them, and a photo in the Lancaster PA newspaper. I think her sister has the photo and article. We buried him three years ago in a Military cemetary, with the picture displayed. We had many Marines come over and ask about them. They were all astonished.

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭✭

My Grandfather served in WWI, and my Father and all his brothers and his sister all served during WWII. Both of my brothers were in the Army, one of them in Vietnam, the other one in Germany. I flunked the physical with flat feet and poor eyesight, so I didn't get invited to the war.

A heartfelt THANK YOU to all who served.

Joe

• chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭✭

My uncle was in Korea with the 2nd Engineers Combat Battalion. He was taken prisoner by the North Koreans and is still officially listed as Missing in Action.

My prayers and thanks to the untold numbers of servicemen that served and protected the world.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,780 ***** Forums Admin

Post by Oakie:

"My wife's father, and his five siblings, all served in the Marines in Korea. "

I thought the Amish did not serve in the military?

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,852 ******

Bless them all

• OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭

They all left the sect and served. Donna's mom died when she was very young and lived in the amish community with her grandparents. Her father was not a great father, and I will leave it at . Donna was raised by her grandparents.

• SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭

My dad served in WWII and it is just 50 years since my last tour.

I have the same feelings as you about how my family votes.

These days my family is you guys. I cannot talk about the things we discuss with my family.

• ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭

On this day, my better half makes me SOS.

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭✭

04/09/64 - 04/08/68.