In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

relist, and it lost watchers

pietrasparapietraspara Member Posts: 4
edited November 2023 in Ask the Experts

I have an item that had 19 watchers but bids didn't reach the reserve, so it relisted automatically but lost all the watchers. Second time around it garnered 6 watchers and a number of bids, but again didn't reach the reserve, and it relisted automatically- but it lost all the watchers.

I'm watching a number of items that haven't gotten bids and were relisted several times, and they remain in my watchlist. But I've watched this one of mine, and it does fall off my watchlist every time.

What's happening? Is there some setting I'm missing to keep the watchers? In listing options, the box is checked for "Yes, relist until item is sold or up to 90 days".

Comments

• Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭

I would assume when it relists a item, the original listing ends and a new one is created so buyer or lookers have find the new listing. Its also the nature of buyers that if an item does not sell on the original listing you lose potential buyers the next time around unless they see drop in price. You will also get is people that has an item like yours and will keep watching yours to see what theirs is worth.

NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options

With any item when the listing ends and is relisted, it gets a new listing number. But normally items keep their watchers when they relist. I have a couple unusual ones that I track, I've had them on my watchlist for two months, and they've relisted every 5 days with no bids. Sometimes the listing gets edited and starting price lowered, but they still remain on my watchlist. I've seen this with many other items, where they stay on my active watchlist until they eventually sell.

However, this one of mine has lost all the watchers on each relist.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭

I lose my watchers but still have them on the “ended” watch list items.

Take the reserve off and set your minimum bid and saves you a listing fee. imo

• Options

From what I observe a 1¢ start and a reserve gets more bidders than putting the same amount as a minimum. I'll see two similar guns, one with a minimum and few or no bids, one with a reserve and penny start and lots of bids, taking it way higher than the first gun. But I could certainly be wrong about this,.

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

Reserve is unpopular,start a price you can always lower it or do the penny start

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Agree, we're adults here, buying guns and stuff, not hot wheels. Remember how much you hate getting bounced around buying a car? No one would ever go to the car dealer and play a guessing game with the sales person until they got to the asking price. Put your minimum bid and go from there. If you choose to do so, you might want to edit the title also, "new price" or something to attract some of the bidders/watchers back. I generally ignore reserve items, but occasionally I will add one to my list. Once it runs it's course, whether or not it sells, I will delete it. If the item keeps getting relisted and never making the reserve, it gets "stale" and only new lookers will check it out.

• Options

Back to my original question. From all I see, most of the time if you add something to your watchlist, it ends and is relisted, it remains on your watchlist. But that didn't happen with the watchers on a listing that I have.

Is there a setting I missed, or what else could be going on?

• Options
    papillonkirbypapillonkirby Member Posts: 2

Most people don't like bidding against themself which you do with a reserve.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

There's no setting that I'm aware of. You mention in your original post that the one's with no bids reappear, but your item, with bids looses the watchers. I think that might be what is going on.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

Personally, no matter how well I like or want an item, if it has a reserve I don’t bid. From what I have seen over the years you will get better results from people competing against other people for an item rather than playing a guessing game. After all it’s an auction not a store front like a pawn shop were you could dicker on a price. If the item is really worth what you feel the reserve is, then there should be no problem in getting what you would like to have if you start out at a penny bid.

This discussion has been closed.