In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

South Carolina Deer hunting

jb4lcmjb4lcm Member Posts: 119 ✭✭

I was back in SC last week for a 4 day deer hunt.

It was in the 80s the week before I got there. It dropped into the low 70s, and mid 50s for the overnight low. The last day it dropped to 47 overnight. It was tee shirts one day and hoodies the next.

One of the food plots on a gas line.

Tees one day ..

Not my buck ... took 2 hours in the dark to find him.

47 that morning. Needs to be colder consistently.

One long alley way to the left ... same in the opposite direction.

Can you find my blind?

This was a beautiful spot. 1oo yards - dropped the doe here.

4 guys, 4 days, we saw 3 animals; 1 small buck and 2 doe. I was lucky enough to get a doe. I saw the second doe 2 days later and passed on it as it was pretty small. Probably 60 lbs.

Hoping to go back between Christmas and New Years for some colder temps.

Comments

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭✭

Been hunting in SC for about 55 years.Pictures look like the upstate.If you get back between Christmas and new year,thats some of the best hunting of the year.The bucks start what I call a second rut when the does that didnt get bred in the first rut come in heat again.Good luck and hope you get a good one.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,054 ******

Great pics. Did yall camp?

• William81William81 Member Posts: 25,235 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing the pics...looks like a good place. Hopefully the weather will be better next trip !!

• savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,510 ✭✭✭✭

I hunt the Southern part of the state I did manage to get a small doe this year it was a little too warm when I was up there.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 59,393 ******

Heck yeah. Very nice, great pictures.

• jb4lcmjb4lcm Member Posts: 119 ✭✭

jimdeere . . . nope. My daughter lives about 25 minutes from here. I had a nice warm bed!

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,545 ✭✭✭✭

What's the limit there. I was in a club south of Columbia near the coast, several years ago, the season was open for 4 months and the limit was an incredible 30 does and 4 bucks.

More than DNR limits, it was a cry for help from SC DNR. "Please, kill some deer!"

• jb4lcmjb4lcm Member Posts: 119 ✭✭

Allen - Looks like the max number a RESIDENT may take is 7 deer per season.

Residents automatically get 5 tags sent in July (if they have a current valid hunting license): 3 unrestricted antlered deer and 2 antlerless. They can buy 2 more RESTRICTED antlered tags for $5 ea.

NON-resident prices:

General Hunt License: $125

Big game permit: $100

First tag - unrestricted antlered deer any size: $50

second tag - unrestricted antlered deer any size: $20

any non-antlered deer: $20

What part of the state are you in? The area with the insane limits was down near the coast. That was 15 years ago, things might have changed.

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭✭

Allen,years ago I hunted the draw hunts at the Savannah River Site(bomb plant). It was a population control hunt.They ran deer with hounds and told us to shoot every deer or hog we could.One of the hunts there were 300 hunters and we killed 350+ deer and several hogs in one day.That went on for several seasons.I got a message from them a few years ago that the deer population was down due to coyotes killing fawns and the hunts were cancelled that year.For years deer were pest from Columbia to the coast and the seasons are from mid August till January 1. Now many landowners have found that deer are another cash crop and lease their property for top dollar.

Yes the place where I hunted the season was August through January. I just looked up the regs, they are rather confusing but it looks like the bag limits are way reduced. Down there near the coast, south of Columbia, 5 bucks and just 8 does. I recall that, 16 years ago it was 30 does.

• asopasop Member Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭✭

90,000+- killed up there in Wisc. Last year I believe over 100,000! Maybe they are just getting smarter🤔