In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.30 Cal Columbian Mauser Parts?

11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭

I have a Columbian Mauser receiver, which I'm trying to piece together for a "project". One issue I seem to be having is the magazine follower! I have an 8mm follower, but it seems to be abit short, approx. 1/4". I'm wondering when they converted these to 30-06 they added new longer followers? ...Anybody know?? ...THX!

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Brazilian Mauser that, like yours, has been arsenal converted to .30/06. I measured the follower at 3.07". I have an early post-war Husqvarna and an FN in .30/06. I measured the follower in an 8mm M98. All measured 3.06"-3.07" and all appear to be virtually identical except the 8mm M98 is notched to allow it to rise a little higher and block the bolt when magazine is empty. So I guess the answer to your question is; they didn't change.

As an aside: A peculiar thing about my converted Brazilian Mauser is, why, after all the work done to modify the stock, replace the barrel, etc., they didn't lengthen the magazine. They milled the charger guides to accept 1903 Springfield stripper clips but left the magazine length at 3.31". The assumption is that the conversion was done to take advantage of the existing untold millions of military ammunition. M2 ball, for example, at 3.33"-3.34" will not go in the magazine. I wonder what they intended to shoot in this thing.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

Are you sure it's chambered for 30/06? Could it possibly have originally been 7.65x53?

• Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭

Nope it was converted to 30-06, the back bridge of the receiver is stamped ".30 CAL".

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

Nope it was converted to 30-06, the back bridge of the receiver is stamped ".30 CAL".

The 7.65x53 round is SHORTER than the 8x57 and much shorter than the typical 30/06. The conversion to 06 was an elcheapo fix.

I got snookered on the one I bought off a used gun rack. It would only accept 30/06 ammo with deep seated bullets in the magazine--basically a single shot. On top of that, the bore was oversize for the .308 diameter bullets and accuracy was poor.

If you're dead set on making this into a real rifle, chamber a new barrel to 308 Win.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭

Have you done research on a Columbian Mauser R. Famage 30.06 ?

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

Some Mauser people of all kinds hang out here:

http://mausercentral.net/forum/