In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WW11 1938 S/42 Mauser K98 8mm Opinions Needed

DTune14DTune14 Member Posts: 1
edited December 2023 in Ask the Experts

I wanted to get others opinions and thoughts on this rifle before bidding. I have wanted a German WW2 Mauser for years and to pay so much for one rifle I want to be certain is authentic. I do not know a-lot but have read that some stamps, parts numbers, and other markings have been forgeries in the past to make them appeal as a more expensive rifles.

i just wanted to get others thoughts and opinions whom are experts on these rifles of whether or not anything looks out of ordinary or is suspicious. Any other information and details about this specific year and manufacture would be appreciated. This could be my first time buying on GunBroker and am just slightly nervous, Thanks.

Link to Rifle I Am Considering Buying:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1015147342.

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

I was into them 30 plus years ago. This one to me looks good with the proofmarks everywhere for an earlier rifle. Common for the bolt mismatch as they through them in a pile and through the rifles in another pile. Saw some of that on WW-2 in color and cringed when they set on fire hundreds of various German forearms. I AM NOT AN EXPERT but looks like to me a good bringback that was used in action.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

It looks like a nice rifle, however that is not the original bolt that was matched to the rifle when it left the factory. This is just my personal opinion, but if I was going to spend that much on a ww2 German Mauser I would want all matching parts. The earlier Mauser years such as 1938 tend to be of better quality made rifles. Completely all matching K98 Mauser do show up from time to time, but over the last 78 years a lot have been converted to sporting rifles. This I know account of I’m guilty of converting and all matching Mauser into a sporting rifle. Be patent one will show up.

• Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

From what i see it is a very nice rifle but its way to high for a non matching firearm. Like others have stated by your time an you will find a matching one for that price. Wait to see if any one bids then make a fair offer according to it being non matching.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭

IMHO, A vet bring-back is not a vet bring-back unless it is accompanied by documentation.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1

Not by any means an "Expert." (But) I have a 1915 Oberndorff Gewher 98, made in Berlin. It was Nazi Aresenal reconfigured to a K98 in 1943.

Your listing looks very good/authentice to me. (But) It seems a tad high to me. IMHO.

@TRAP55/Dave, is your guy.

Moderator on Mauser Central and a friend.

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭

you might try mausercentral.net.

It's a Mauser forum for Mauser lovers.

You will have to register to ask questions and post.

If you get a message that the site is down for upgrades just go back day or two later.

I've got some custom Mausers.

If the bolt does not match the gun it could have some serious issues, one being headspace and not safe for use other than for looks. Can get costly to get get bolt issues corrected and one size does not fit all on Mausers ESPECIALLY. (lots of minor/major variants in production over the years)