In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ithaca Gun Co. Inc

mhvondmhvond Member Posts: 31 ✭✭

I would like to learn more about this pistol. I believe it is a 1911 and fires 45 cal rounds

I purchased new grips and a magazine. But it appears as though there is a piece missing between the slide and the frame.

There is a P stamped on top of the slide, near the rear sight. Also a logo just above the mag release button.

Any information will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭
    edited January 23

You have a parts gun with a Ithica slide mfg during WW 2 and a Colt frame mfg in 1918. The frame extension has been cut off. It should cover all of the recoil spring. It was not uncommon to mix parts during WW 2 from cleaning and repair. It could be repaired by making an extension piece and welding it on, or just replace the frame. The gun will probably function as is. Good luck.

The P is the final proof mark. The logo above the mag release is the final inspection stamp; looks like GHS, for Gilbert H, Stewart on Colt frames between serial numbers 101,500 - 230,000.

Added: The sights are not standard GI sights. They are non-adjustable target sights. Possible that the slide or the whole piece was re-built as a target pistol.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure one of our experts will chime in, but to me it looks like an Ithaca slide on a Colt frame. The mark above the mag release should be an inspectors mark. I am having a hard time making it out on my tablet but if you do a Google search for 1911 inspectors marks, you should find it.

That's the easy part. As for your missing part, it looks like someone cut off the front of your frame where the spring is visible. I'm sure they had a reason but I haven't clue as to why.

• Options
    mhvondmhvond Member Posts: 31 ✭✭

Thank you for the information!

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,187 ✭✭✭✭

was wondering what the rty was on the frame, GOOD catch Hoosier, that makes sense now about cutting off US property.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

The large "NM" stamped on the slide indicates that this gun may have been converted to a competition gun at one time. "National Match"?

I recommend that you strip the receiver & sell the parts; throw away the receiver. You don't want to take a chance that one of your descendants will try to fire the gun as is, & lose an eye.

Neal