In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Genealogy, the good the bad and the ugly

2»

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,267 ✭✭✭✭

I was a kid at Ashford Park School in Atlanta in 1960, a public school. I was in fifth grade. The lady from the United Daughters of the Confederacy came by and gave a little one hour talk to the class. She gave us the subject for our report that year, it was Fort Sumter. Each kid had to write a 2 page report on Fort Sumter.

The UDC gal came by every year for a talk about some facet of the war, and to give the subject for our report. One year, it might be Robert E. Lee, one year it was Jefferson Davis.

• Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭

I do lol but I have to get my forum time in ❤️❤️

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭

My family has been found all of the way back to England on my Dad's side. A relative was a big professor at a college there. He was kicked out of England for bad behavior, as the story goes...I won't relate what it was. But I also note our name is on the first HMS that fired on Bunker Hill.

I know my grandfather fought in the Civil War, and still have the rifle he carried. It was made in 1825 and sold to the family by some gypsies! I don't know what to do with it, maybe leave it to a museum? I'm the last in the family line interested in firearms :(

Lots more history, but I haven't taken the time to look it all over...

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go out into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness, how cheap, how cowardly, how pathetic. Ted Nugent.
  • Options
    mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭

I should have said great, great, great grandfather, or something like that!! :)

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go out into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness, how cheap, how cowardly, how pathetic. Ted Nugent.
  • Options

I finally found what I was looking for.... My great great grandmother's father (this on my Grandmother's side) was in the civil war. Pvt. Nelson Blakely fought in the Iowa 9th infantry... Will have to look more into this.

John Adams

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,427 ******

I'm sure we all here would love to see pictures of you GGGGGrandfathers rifle @mstrblaster !!

• Options

John Adams

• Options

I just found out that my Great Great Great Grandfather Newton Elsbury Phillips lost his brother in the war... Thomas Phillips Jr.

John Adams