In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

model 91 smith&wesson single shot target pistol

vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 297 ✭✭

hi experts, i have a model 91 s&w single shot target pistol and I'm certain it is the third model, problem is the spur is broken off the hammer. can anyone direct me to where i might find a replacement hammer or a hammer that could be used. it is my understanding that this pistol was born of a revolver that was re-worked by someone at the factory so it could be used as the single shot target pistol. could the hammer from the original revolver be substituted? as always, thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

numrich,ebay,internet search

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

Not familiar with a model 91. It would be a big help if you could post photos.

Neal

• Options

i have exhausted all the used gun parts stores i know, poperts, jackfirst, homestead, and all the common ones like numrich, midway,etc. i was hoping someone might know an out of the way place that deals in antique gun parts that is off the radar. neal, it would be easier for you to enter model 91 s&w single shot target pistol into a search engine than it would be for me to try and take a picture and post it beings how I'm handicapped when it comes to modern technology but i appreciate your input. i think there is one on the auction on this sight

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10

I don't know if this will work or not - From a decade ago. (Just tried it - it works) Best Regards AQH

https://www.smithandwessonforums.com/attachments/100_2078-jpg.28241/

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭✭

The first model was based on the 1891 single action revolver and if you had the revolver you could order the single shot barrel and swap it out. By the second and third models they were changed to single shot frames that weren't convertible to a revolver. If yours is a single action trigger it is probably a second model and if double action a third. Perhaps a good gun restorer could repair/replace the hammer spur. I have seen that done to some older rare hammers and the results were excellent. Unfortunately, the gentleman that I knew that did some of those restorations passed away long ago so I can't point you to a specific gunsmith. But somebody out there must still do that work. Good luck with it. Bob

• Options

AQH, i tried the smith&wesson forums, they even have a page for "smithing" which i assume means gun smithing but I have not received no response from them yet in two days. thanks bobjudy, I can use any help that is out there. I did discover that a double action model will have the trigger more in the center of the trigger guard. I think this is what i have but this will not function as a double action. looks like parts have been robbed or broken and removed before i got hold of it. i will attempt to include some pictures.

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭

That is a Third Model with a lot of things in common with the Hand Ejector revolver.

Be patient with the S&W board, stuff can turn up.

Top picture looks like the double action sear is not in position, bottom picture looks like it is gone.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,974 ******

the above parts 'look like' S&W hand ejector parts which are fairly common, I'm not saying they will 'fit' but it's a place to start.

• Options

thanks again for the input everyone. i got a grandchild to help me with the pictures, moving right along now, this will function as a single shot but since hawk I.D.'d it as a third model it should be a DA. I have yet to find a parts list or diagram so i can determine what is missing so if anyone knows a web site that might show these things please let it be known. I'm still searching the planet to find a replacement hammer and once again if you have any "ins" please post them. after one more post this will be shut down so I will start a continuation of this one if I can, any and all help greatly appreciated, thanks all