In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beatles

Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,655 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 10 in General Discussion

60 yrs ago on Ed Sullivan Feb 9th

They Made their 1st TV appearance

I was 6 yrs old and do not recall it

but many years later one of the neighbor girls at my moms funeral told me she came to our house as her family did not have a TV Just to watch the Beatles preform

we always had a TV as far back as i remember always B&W and two chanels lol it was always a used one some one had traded in to a local tv shop traded in tv's or repared tv's not uncomom back then

I am guessing she was about 12 yrs old at the time

her and her brother and sister were like extended family to us growing up .

Any way Any one alse remember watching them that first time

I know their political views later on made some people mad

But how four men changed the country is still amazing

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭✭

Yupp, I remember it and I was 8 1/2 years old. Back then that 1/2 was an important distinction. When asked how old are you, every kid made sure to add that 1/2 year to their answer. We were in tall cotton compared to you because we got THREE channels, well most of the time anyway!😁 T.V. watching was regimented because Sunday nights was Disney, Ed Sullivan and Bonanza. Funny how with only three channels, there was always something good to watch and now, more often than not, I flip through all my Dish network offerings and turn off the T.V. and pick up a book.

I never was a big Beatles fan. They were o.k. but there was to much home grown music back then for me to appreciate and listen to. Bob

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,094 ✭✭✭✭

Their music is truly enduring.

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭

They were a bit before my time. And, my dad had horrible taste in music so there was never any Beatles playing on the radio or record players when he was home. I only ever heard them in passing when mom had the radio on and dad wasn't home.

I can't say I'm a fan. Some of their music is excellent and some of it is so bad, I would have been embarrassed to record it even as a joke. But, it's the Beatles zealots that kept me from getting into the band's music. Someone always says "they're the greatest band ever and if you don't agree with me you don't know anything about music". Well...I think I know when a band records a song like "Wild Honey Pie" the label of 'greatest' only applies if followed by 'musical atrocity'.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    edited February 10

spot on Bobjudy 😁

if the weather was just right we could get a real fuzzy 3rd channel but not enough or often to count

I agree on the watching what ever came on maybe because we were just starved for entertainment or the old shows were really just better

but your line up brings back a ton of memories. way back Disney was a great show for us kids I could not wait till the next show all the mini stories that kept us coming back

I remember going up against (facing off in a fast draw ) marshal Dillon at the start of gun smoke if I cheated I could beat him LOL as has been stated much simpler times and good guys always won .

. what young boy did not want to be a cowboy?

Ok thinking on it I am sure the kids of the cattle ranchers would disagree LOL

having a cap gun(s) and if lucky a hat and vest to look the part and we were good to go

the imagination of a young kid filled countless hours of our time

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,440 ******

I do remember the '64 Ed Sullivan Beatles broadcast. My older sister Maggy already was one of those crazy screaming type fans of them and had large individual face posters of all the FAB boys hanging on her bedroom wall.

I was only a few days away from my 8th birthday back then. I actually admit that I did like them. A few of their tunes can get stuck in my head if I'm not careful though. I'll end up fixing a hole where the rain gets in, to stop my mind from wandering........😁

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

Don't remember their first appearance but way back no one in Central Virginia had a TV. Color was unheard of. The old timers went to the General Store and sometimes a youngster like me got treated to the Friday Night Fights on the one TV around. Not sure, think it was Gillette Calvacade of Sports or was it related to Timex takes a licking and keeps on ticking? Sorry, don't think my memory goes back that far. -------------------------Ray

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭✭

They were OK,but nowhere near as good as The Earls Of Leicester.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,094 ✭✭✭✭

the Beatles were great but some of McCartneys Wings hits were mighty good too

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10

I am partial to Led Zeppelin.......but the Beatles are close in terms of greatness.......very different though

• Options

1st 8 track tape i bought was a Beatles Abby road

I had Just bought a under dash tape player at radio shack and rear shelf mounted speakers .and put them it in my 65 mustang

I was living the good life 1.35 a hr job a mustang and a 8 track player 1974

Great memories

I will bet it was maybe a 15 or 20 watt system. But compared to a factory am radio

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,281 ✭✭✭✭

I was a 13 year old kid in 8th grade in high school. All the girls were saying "The Beatles will be on Ed Sullivan Sunday night!"

I didn't know what a Beatle was, but my brother and I did watch the show.

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭✭

YA . . YA. . . YA . .

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭

I was 16. A bunch of my friends got together to watch this British music invasion.

I thought they were OK but nowhere near as good as the Beach Boys!!😁

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭✭

the new generation will be eatting them

• Options
    chicoppeechicoppee Member Posts: 312 ✭✭

My father built our first tv from a Heathkit . He spent all summer nights on the back porch putting it together. 12 inch screen and a very nice cabinet. Two channels only but we were the first TV on our block.

I remember the old women from across the street came over on thursday nights to watch a Boxing / Wrestling show.

My job was to make sure the Rabbit Ears were bringing in the best picture. Whole family gathered around and actually talked and laughed together. Boy do i miss those days !