In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1953 ymfg model 70

tobyfloyd61tobyfloyd61 Member Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

I’m looking at and pre 64 model 70 in 308 feather weight the knob on bolt handle does not have a hole in it I thought all fw had a hole in knob? But could be wrong thanks for the help guys

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

Per Roger Rule's book, the bolt knob hole was instituted in 1952, with the Featherweight in mind, to save weight. But it was a slow change and some of the early Featherweights didn't have it. And it eventually became an across the board change; even my .243 Varmint and my .264 Westerner have hollow bolt knobs.

• Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭

Just checked my model 70 featherweights, 1953 308 solid knob, 1955 243 hole in bolt knob, 1961 264 hole in bolt knob. Ambrose is correct I believe, some of the early featherweights had solid bolt knobs.

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

I can't take any credit. Roger Rule is correct. The amount of research he did on those rifles, including the model 54 and the post 70's is phenomenal! I'm just passing it along.