In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Freezing water pipes and toilet

ROY222ROY222 Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

With temperatures in the 20s for the next couple days and no heat and an open roof. Is there a good way to keep the water pipes from freezing.

I can shut off the water valve and drain the pipes.

Will the toilet drain pipe and other drain pipes freeze? It is in an unheated basement. Can I pour antifreeze in the toilet?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    tnrangertnranger Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭

No experience on the scale you're dealing with, but every fall I blow out the lines and pump copious amounts of RV antifreeze into my travel trailer pipes ... has worked so far. Just be sure to really flush everything before you resume consumption. I don't trust their nontoxic claims. Sorry you're going through this. It's a real pain, I know.

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,391 ******

I'd suggest the shutoff and drain them, but I am not a plumber. Good luck.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15

You could use RV anti-freeze like they do in stored campers.

What about a kerosene heater in the basement, just to keep it above 32.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭

Shut 'em off and drain the inlet lines IF the shut off is deep enough or in a location that it won't freeze.

Pour copious quantities of RV antifreeze in the sinks, tub drains, and the toilets. Don't forget to drain the toilet tanks!

A small garden pond pump works great for getting a lot of the water out of the toilet bowl before you put the antifreeze in.

Good luck!

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,103 ******

Make sure any outside faucets are left open also.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭✭

What Montana said . Only other advice would be to blow lines with compressed air if you could .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if I missed it here but draining is not good enough if you have some pipes that lay low and the water stays there. Blowing them out with compressor is way to go. Hope you have access to power. Wished i were there to help you. Lots of experience in this area. Learned a lot the hard way in a mobile home on my property in Virginia about 20 years ago. Prayers for you.----------------------------Ray