In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ranges without RSOs

Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭

There's a local range about 20 minutes from my house that has distances from 25 yards, all the way out to 500 yards. To use this range, you must be a member (a bit expensive) and attend one of their orientation classes. They've taken steps to make sure everyone who's shooting there is accounted for, knows how to handle a firearm, and aware of the range's expectations. Good stuff.

But...there are no official RSOs. According to the range rules, the first member to arrive acts as the RSO. That means the first shooter is the one responsible for the actions and safety of all the shooters that arrive later. When the acting RSO decides he's done, he gives the RSO vest to the guy who arrived just after he did. Unless that's one heck of an orientation class with very clear standards and practices for the acting RSOs, everyone's way of being RSO will be different and maybe even unpredictable. And unpredictable is not something you want when shooting.

As much as I want to be able to shoot outdoors at longer distances, the lack of official RSOs and having members act as RSOs is enough to make me say "no thanks".

What do you folks think?

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭

where do you hunt?? if its not far go out there and shoot, its free and no idiots to deal with........

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭

Seems a bit crazy considering the cost to join to just make the the people present To be liable for all those that follow

It may have seemed like a Good idea at start when the group was small and all close friends ?

But any shooting club no matter the rules especially with cost involved needs some one on the pay roll to be in charge that's just my 2 cents

I have only been to a indoor rage once to get my ccw permit that was 15 or 20 yrs ago some had never fired a gun before some had experience but the gun shop range was a nice place and had a lot of help and range officers watching .

I have Been fortunate to have a back yard I started and my youngets son added to a huge dirt backstop it's only a hundred yards is the down side

But fills the need to just shoot And it's just over a mile to the next road behind our back stop.

A longer range would be great, but no more shooting than I do any more it's fine

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭

Our club does not have RSO but we only have 120 members, I was on the wait list for like eight years, so we all kinda know each other

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,625 ✭✭✭✭

The indoor range I shoot at has an RSO on duty. The two outdoor ranges I use have no RSO at all. The one I use the most is usually not busy as I only go there during the week. I assess the folks shooting around me. If I do not believe them to be safe, I simply leave the area and return when the person has left. Luckily there are two lakes nearby so I just go fish for an hour and return...

The outdoor range I used in Illinois did not have an RSO's. There was a care taker who lived on the club grounds. If there was an issue, he was told about it and it was taken before the board. I remember several folks losing their privileges for various violations.

• Options

That's what I figure the outdoor range expects, too. Behave, be respectful, or you're gone. And I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill, especially since I haven't been to their orientation class nor have I asked any questions of the outdoor range regarding expectations.

Still, I don't want to be the RSO "on duty" if something goes sideways. Seems like a great way to lose everything I have even if someone else was reckless and irresponsible.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭

See what kind of insurance coverage they have and whether or not you are covered when you have to act as the RSO.

• Options

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭✭

The only time I go to a range is to shoot IDPA competitions. I live where there is an abundance of state and federal property.

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭

Used to belong to the Ben Lomond club in Colorado. No RSO except for organized shoots like the cowboy shoots. Moved back to Virginia, joined Black Creek shooters, no RSO for everyday shoots. Never had a problem with range safety. If someone did, the folks from the check-in station would remove offender.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19

having members police each other should be enough.......unless an "undesireable" element (like obvious young weed smokers) makes it in.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭

it should be but who is the liability gonna fall on in the event of an accident???? I would rather no RSO than an honorary one who happens to show up first for the day then gets stuck in charge.......

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭

You would be a fool to put that vest on and say you’re the range officer. This all sounds nice, and safety wise, until someone has a real accident and gets shot fatally. The family would get a lawyer and take YOU to court and you could end up loosing everything you have, and possibly going to prison.

I hate to sound like a na sayer, but I would look for another range that supplies their own range officer that is employed by the range.

Do I trust my self? YES. Do I trust my friends that I know? YES. Do I trust someone I don’t know? NO!! It was just a while back I remember you saying that some people were getting high just before they went onto a range you were using. It’s not worth the risk.

• Options

The more I think about it @waltermoe , the more I think the personal risk is just too great. There's another outdoor range not too much futher away that RSOs on the range every day. And while that particular range tops out at 100 yards, I only have to show up, follow the rules, and behave. No added responsibilities.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭

Been a volunteer RSO for many years and frequent a range that has RSOs. Not enough space or time to list the instances where RSOs intervened & prevented serious mishaps. If there is anyone other than myself shooting at any range, its nice to have a RSO.

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20

The Missouri Department of Conservation has unstaffed free use ranges that I use occasionally to sight in my rifles. Longest distance is 100yds though. I just sighted in 2 rifles there recently. I'm paranoid and take my rifle down range with me while checking targets.

I've seen some absolutely nutty RSO's in the past. Lonely old timers seeking attention from new shooters who have little range experience.

I watched one RSO go up to a couple shooting a Winchester 30-30 and grab their barrel while they were starting to reload it, Stating, "You shouldn't shoot too many rounds too fast out of these old guns."

Had he done that to me, I'd have told him to mind his own ______ business.

• Options
    edited February 20

good info there. Clearly shows that RSO should always be more than “first guy to arrive”.

and @drobs , I hadn’t even thought of what could happen if I’m the RSO of the moment, go down range to Change a target, and leave my rifle unattended.

No chance of me paying for membership at this range. No way.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

I think it would depend heavily on how (um) heavily the range is used. If like 2 people are there on any given random weekend, it would be more than fine. But if you have about 10 people lining up to shoot all at the same time, then it seems it would be problematic. I've been to a range that had exactly zero RSO and the worst problem was cleanup of what folks brought as targets.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain