In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭

I pray those firefighters injuries were not serious.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭

that is my only fear of these vehicles. otherwise conversion is faily simple to most existing engine technology and most engines allready in service if need be. Just a little leary of those tanks in a crash/fire......

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭

When I was driving the big rig I saw installations for natural gas pumps put in at 4 or 5 big truck stops, Flying J. There was one in Laredo, one near Mobile, another at Montgomery Alabama. I saw at least five being built, and it must have been at a cost of several millions. However, these natural gas pumps never opened up. Never pumped a gallon.

Obviously Flying J was anticipating, ten years ago, a big move to natural gas powered big rigs.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭

Back in the '60's I visited a pal in the Miami area. He had a Chevy El camino that was an ex-Miami utilities vehicle. It had a LPG tank secured in the front of the bed. I agree, the thought of compressed gas would worry me but not as much as compressed hydrogen.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭

Brandon does not like gas stoves and he also does not want to export natural gas to foreign countries. Seems Brandon wants us to be safe and go to electric stoves and EV's.

I'm suspect of his reasoning, but again I'm a paranoid type of guy constantly watching behind and in front of me. (for last few years or so) Seems them politicians ideas always shrinks my pocket book. (when they promise it's for my own good)

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭

had a house in the middle of annarbor mi explode yesterday nothing left

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭

Terrorists? Or lack or maintenance?

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭

Back in the 1980's......my older uncle converted a few of his pickups to run "farm" propane. They ran pretty well.......with the "untaxed" fuel.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭

I was working at a hot air balloon manufacturing shop in Atlanta. The balloons run on propane. In each corner of the gondola is a ten gallon propane tank, four tanks total.

We had a big Ford pickup that we used to "chase." That is, I drove the truck to where the balloon landed, and we loaded the balloon and gondola up in the truck.

The boss bought a conversion kit, and one day I rigged up the F150 to where it would run on gasoline, or propane. We strapped a 10 gallon propane tank into the corner of the truck. It ran well on propane, though it had a little less power than gasoline.

• Options
    tnrangertnranger Member Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

Back on the farm, all 3 of the tractors ran on LP (never did get comfortable around them when fueling). Sometime in the 70's Dad had the early 50's vintage Model G Moline overhauled. The mechanic went on and on about how clean inside that engine was. Like mentioned above, a lot of the neighboring farmers who ran their tractors on LP also ran their pickups on it.

• Options
    slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

So Brandon is afraid of gas stoves? I'll bet he doesn't eat beans either.😉

• Options

With all this talk about farm tractors, have any of you know anything about old tractors that would start and warmup of gas then switch to diesel?

• Options

Right tnranger, I've see torn down engines that have run on propane - amazing.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭

I recall a friend talking about those, but my memory is as good as my spelling, but I think they were Fords........

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

@cbxjeff : Are you sure you are not thinking of "tractor fuel" instead of diesel? Tractor fuel was, I believe, kerosene. Some of the old 2-cylinder John Deeres as well as other makes ran on that stuff. There was a fuel switch and the main tank held kerosene with a small tank holding gas. You would start the tractor on gas and, when warm, switch to the main tank. BUT, you had to remember to switch back to gas before you shut it down. I'm sure you would only forget once, since those old JD's had to be started by turning the exterior flywheel by hand!

• Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭✭

I had an old Fordson built around 1925. It was strictly a gas version, but they did make a special carburetor and fuel tank that would accommodate gas and diesel.

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,412 ******

The only propane driven machine I ever piloted was a HI-LO that worked indoors and outdoors a lot. I will never forget the smell of the exhaust that thing put out!