In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 700ML Badger Ridge 209 modification

Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

Before last Black Powder Deer season I converted couple of Stainless Rem700ML BP rifles to the Badger Ridge Industries 209 mod that eliminates the 209 primer blowback through the bolt.

I had previously quit using my Rem 700ML's due to 209 primer breech plug flashback into the face from primer ignition. Did not care for having to wear a full face shield when hunting with the rifles. Remington and others have themselves protected by stating in the owners manuals to ALWAYS WEAR safety glasses when shooting BP guns. My rifles when first bought new were #11 caps, then musket, then the Rem and Canada 209 mods but the bolt allowed the 209 ignition flash to come back through the bolt into the face. The #11 and musket caps ignition was not reliable from the 700ML's even when using the lower ignition temperature of Black Powder and not reliable at all if using Pyrodex or Pyrodex pellets. Most genrally the mis-fires would occur when the Black Powder 700ML was looking at Big Horn Bucks, especially after I had spent several days in the woods waiting for a shot.

I suspect this flashback was why Remington quit making the 700Ml's and went to the Ultimate Black Powder rifle design. I contacted Remington about flash backs through the bolt from the 700ml's but my complaints fell on deaf ears.

The Badger Ridge Industries mod is a really good safety mod and allowed me to bring my 700ml's out of retirement.

The Remington 50 cal 700ml's can be very accurate rifles with the mod when fed the proper recipe for loads and safe to use with the 209's after the mod.

Here is a link to the mod.

https://www.badgerridgeind.com/badgerden/welcome-to-the-only-remington-700ml-kit-youll-ever-truly-want

Comments

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭

Great information thank you.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

I put one in mine and it really works well

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15

You can watch videos of how to install the kit on their site yourself for a Rem700ML

Sometimes they are little slow answering emails but once they answer they come back promptly..

They do ship their kits promptly and provide tracking info.

Once you do one the next are easy if you are a gun tinkerer and can follow simple instructions and have few of the basic tools, such as for pressing on the 209 adapter onto the bolt face.

Keep a heads up about filing down the firing pin for proper protrusion.

I suspect they might quit selling their kits to the public in the near future so if you want a do it yourself kit I would suggest that your do so soon.

You also have the option of sending them your bolt for the install which they will do so at a reasonable price.