In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.400 Legend Range Report

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a Savage Axis at the local gun show. I set it up with a low power variable scope and got it to the range today. Winchester 215 gr. Power Point factory loads are listed as 2250 fps on the box. My Oehler 35P clocked them an average for 20 shots at 10 feet from the muzzle at 2204 fps. Not bad for a 20" barrel. Four 5-shot groups averaged just under 2" at 100 yds. I'm thinking that something other than my 86 year old eyes could do better!

Computed free recoil about splits the difference between the .350 Legend and the .450 Bushmaster (no surprise!). The .350 @ 12.5 ft/lbs, the .400 @18, and the .450 @ 25. As a comparison, the .30/06 recoils 22-24 ft/lbs.

I've got loading dies but have only 10mm bullets to try. I wonder when or if bullet makers will turn out rifle bullets for this cartridge. I think it would be a great deer cartridge but I doubt if it will compete with the .350 or the .450 because those cartridges have too much of a head start.

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭

I have one stripped upper yet been toying with getting a 400 legend barrel

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭

Do .450Bushmaster have rifle bullets? I thought they basically stopped at pistol bullets. Like the .400Legend.

There got to be tons of .40cal/10mm rounds. I do wonder about "rifle" rounds tumbling from being too heavy or too long coming out of what ever twist rate.

• Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭

I’m a big fan of all 40 s

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,406 ***** Forums Admin

Nice report, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a very practical round for close to mid range hunting.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭

SIL, has been using the 350 legend with great results on pigs with an AR. Been reloading this number for some time and bullets were hard to find when introduced in 2019. They have recently available.

The 400 uses a .4005 diameter bullet around 215 grains. Cant think of anyone who makes .400 diameter bullets other than custom makers & ammo is no where to be found locally. IMHO its another niche cartridge that has potential if you can get ammo and reloading components. We already have the 450 bushmaster. Will have to see if major bullet makers start making bullets.

One observation I have always noticed about WW introduced cartridges is if they dont sell, they soon quit making ammo and brass for them. IE most of the short magnums, 307, 356, 358, & 375 Winchesters.