In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Newb and also could use some advice

Harry90Harry90 Member Posts: 1
edited February 24 in General Discussion

Hello everyone, glad to be on here!

so how would y’all handle this situation? I’ll explain it’s been a little over a year ago that I purchased two silencers from a local gun shop in Douglas Georgia. Well, I’ve decided to get my FFL and SOT and I’m currently enclosing my shop and could use the extra money, so I canceled getting the suppressors and I also understood that I would lose 25% of what I paid. I paid everything in cash and when they gave me back the money for both suppressors I asked where is my tax stamp money and they said well we don’t show you’ve paid for it, so I guess we paid for it out of our pocket!?!?! caught off guard by this. The guys at this gun shop really expect me to believe that they just generously paid $400 out of their pocket for my tax stamps. They know that is not true and they’re hoping I don’t find the receipt. Well I found the receipt but I’m so pissed off that they would try to shoot me a line of B.s. like that hoping I don’t have their receipts so they can keep the $400 refund. It also strikes me odd that they did not document that I paid cash for the tax stamp, it almost feels like they purposely didn’t keep track of it in hopes of someone canceling that did pay with cash, but also not have their receipt….smh Has any of y’all ever had to deal with something like this? The guy that runs the store doesn’t let $400 worth of merchandise just walk out of his store nor does he let guns go out of the store not paid in full and I’m sure he doesn’t generously give out $400 to many customers if any at all I don’t know it just seems odd, but thankfully I kept the receipt.

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭

$400 for "restocking fee" will be the next line.

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

if the tax has been paid good luck getting it back

• Options
    Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a good education moment to me.

School of hard knocks can be a bad experience.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭

I've never heard of getting a 'refund' of tax stamp fee. That $200 goes directly to BATFE and I certainly wouldn't expect to get it back.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

It is like expecting a refund from a lawyer for a retainer, it ain't gonna happen. The Government has the 400 bucks and it would take an act of congress to get it back.

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭

Should have just went through with the transfer. At a year into the process, it should be about done. Even if you get your SOT, the devices will be owned/registered to the business and only valid while you have the SOT. Once the transfer happened to you as an individual, they are yours until sold later, or forfeited should you pass and next of kin doesn't want to mess with it.

My question is did YOU ever send any money to the government for the stamp? Were these suppressors on some type of lay-away because a year should have been long enough for the stamps to process and transfer to proceed. Most places that layaway on SOT stuff won't apply for the stamp until the items are paid in full. So, if they weren't paid in full, then make them prove they sent it.

Ultimately, you are a bit at their mercy. If you told the guy you intend to open a shop in the same line as you, he may now see you as a competitor and be even less likely to work with you. Either way, this sounds a bit like buyers remorse and for businesses that happens all the time and one becomes jaded to it. This may well be a learning situation. You both learned to be sure of what you want, even if situations change. And, you learned you don't want to deal with this dealer in the future. It sucks, but looking at it from both sides (unbiased) the dealer didn't change his mind.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,371 ******

Welcome to the forums @Harry90 Please read the posting guideline there is a link near the top of the page. We generally do not allow complaints that are one-sided meaning we only get to hear from one individual in the dispute, That said you asked for advice and have received some. We do let members have their "rants" often enough, but please try to keep them to a minimum. And with that I will close this post since you have gotten some "advice". You can ask questions, provide comments etc. to other posts or create new ones within the guidelines, I can only say you may not always get what you ask for...

This discussion has been closed.