In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Found some corned beef.

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

Still got couple of corned beef from last year and St. Paddy's is a coming around again. I better finish them before I get a new batch unless bidenomics will effect the corned beef price this year. Not the typical $3.99 a pound sale.

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭

A month or so back

I picked up two cans of cornedbeef

Just because lol

I had not ate any since I was a kid and happen to see it on the shelf at wallyworld

Sliced it about 3/8 " thick made a few sandwiches just plain white bread and cornedbeef

I liked it as did our dogs but my wife said no way

Last week I went to look for it

None on the shelf must have Been a run on it due to new year ?

Next time I will buy a few

• Options

The canned stuff is good for corned beef and hash. Never sliced it like SPAM and sandwichfied it.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,392 ******

There's a lot of solidified grease mixed through the meat in the canned stuff. I slice it and fry it. Then put on paper towel to squeeze out most of the fat. Some brands have a lot more fat than others!

• Options

Brookwood - Yeah use the grease to fry up some eggs to top the corned beef and hash.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭

I Always ate it just as it is packed just sliced and tossed on bread never added anything also have never ate any hash

I know its not good for me as I had had bypass pass done almost 20 yrs ago 99% blocked just found it by blind luck never had a heart atwck or sympyoms . I had it found dc and have harding of the arteries

But I stopped eating what's good for me many years ago

I know its wrong, but we all got to go might as well at least get to eat what I want . Its one of the very few things I still can enjoy

• Options

Ditch-Runner - Hash is basically pan fried potatoes. In a pinch I chopped up frozen french fries as a substitute. Never had it on top of home fries. That boiled then pan fried spuds. You can go all Hawaiian by placing the corned beef and sunny side up eggs on top of rice.

Life is not good for us. It always ends in death. 99% blockage is impressive with no symptoms. No shortness of breath or can't walk a block with out a sit down?

As long as you got your situations in order go on and spread bacon fat on toasted Wonder Bread and enjoy. Just have someone check on you. I think one of my neighbor in front of me kicked off. I'm speculating this because why else have all the upper room windows open in middle of February?

I reckon I'd end up like the German if I don't have a person in place. My job will call and after couple of weeks they'll just stop by the time the neighbors notice the "smell". And it won't be the smell from what Yosh is a cooking.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin

"As long as you got your situations in order go on and spread bacon fat on toasted Wonder Bread and enjoy."

When I was a kid, I would take a slice of toast and dip one face of it in the still hot bacon fat in the frying pan. Then slather it with home made apple butter. That was food fit for a king I'm tellin' ya.

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Corn beef hash is one of our go to meals on a Sunday. We have some very good butchers that are customers of my wife's business so we get a good price.

We get a big corned beef, some for hash, some for corned beef and cabbage and the left overs for sandwiches.

• Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

The week before st. Patty's is when I buy corned beef. The stuff in a can I buy when I'm feeling nostalgic about camping rough and eating anything that was remotely edible.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******

Now I'm hungry,and love corned beef.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭

We have two local eateries that make in-house CBH. One is the chain Black Bear Diner, and the other is a Utah one. Both serve a plateful of real corned beef grilled with diced 'taters. No canned glop. It's a tossup which is better, but I'll keep on trying to decide!

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭

A Jewish deli has a signature sandwich they call a "Yummy". Corned beef, pastrami and a slice of a very white cheese they then heat up a little bit and put on rye bread. Good sandwich.

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭

If you have an Aldi's store where you are - they have corned beef on sale this week - point cut - $2.99 per pound. Yes - we bought several pounds. We are going to celebrate @bpost birthday on St. Paddy's Day with corned beef and cabbage.

Best Regards - AQH

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭

I’m not Irish, but make Reuben sandwiches every st. Patrick’s day. That’s about the only time we eat corn beef.

• Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Corned beef brisket is all our stores handle any more. I always preferred the corned beef round (roast). Lean and easy to slice. Two of my sons pastrami-spice venison roast and it is awful good too.

• Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭✭

I always put it in the slow cooker, but friends of of ours throw it in a big pot with the potatoes and boil it. Best I had.

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options

Yeah that's about the time I usually stock up for the year so I can have a corned beef sandwich in September. But last year I was at my not usual Safeway when I came across a corned beef sale in July?

• Options

asop, that may be a great sandwich, but it isn't from a Jewish deli. They would never put cheese and meat together. Has to be a Gentile deli for that.

We bought corned beef over a week ago - from the discount bin. We had an early CB&C dinner already, then I had a CB on rye sandwich the next day. Just good mustard on mine.

• Options

When I lived in the suburbs of a big city over 40 years ago, there was this Jewish place that sold the BEST rye bread I've ever, ever, ever,......had in my life! It was a large round loaf, very dense, and the center slices made a Reuben sandwich that would probably pack a couple days worth of calories if you ate the whole thing! The bread had options like seeded with caraway (which I liked) and without.

There has never been any other rye bread encountered by me that comes even close to what that old Oak Park, Michigan bakery had.

• Options

Agree. There are several kinds of rye bread out there: New York, Russian, Marbled, and probably more. But the only kind I call real rye is Jewish Rye, with caraway seeds.

Jewish Rye, toasted, with lots of butter, is just heavenly.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭

In all honesty, Rocky, just about anything with lots of butter is mighty tasty!

• Options

Agree @Rocky Raab! That Jewish rye took a lot of sauerkraut juice to get soggy!! 😁

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭

Rocky-It is in fact a real Jewish Deli. Located in the "NW suburbs of Chicago". 99% gentile clientele! Maybe that's the reason. They do ask if you want cheese on it however.

• Options

Be funny if there was a Deli Nazi. "You want cheese on your sandwich? NO SANDWICH FOR YOU!!!". Actually it'll be funny in two ways.

• Options

Given the clientele, it is reasonable that they are running their deli non-kosher.

Here in Utah, we have Mormon businesses selling coffee, too! (And they call non-Mormons Gentiles, even Jewish ones, which is hilarious.)

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,994 ✭✭✭✭

Never liked fermented cabbage. But corned beef on a good rye with Swiss cheese, DELICIOUS

• Options

I don’t know if I can wait until St. Patrick’s now. I make my sandwiches with: Light rye bread buttered on one side butter side out, sliced corn beef, thousand island dress, sweet Bavarian kraut with caraway seeds, Swiss cheese.

Fry sandwich butter side out in a skillet until golden, flip the sandwich and fry again until golden and cheese melts.

Ok, it’s settled, Rubin sandwiches tonight for supper.

• Options

A true Reuben (correct spelling) would use Russian dressing, but we forgive you that, Walter.

A Reuben is by no means low-cal, or vegan, or gluten-free, or kosher, or even easy to eat neatly. I LOVE 'em.

• Options

@Rocky Raab . You’re right, the Russian dress would probably be correct. But what the hell, I ain’t Irish either. Lol

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭

Dang but don't that look yummy I was sittin' here wonderin' what to have for dinner and then you@waltermoe put that picture up! Now I'm just frustrated I don't have the fixin's and it's a long way to town.

• Options

A Reuben isn't an Irish dish. Pure American.

Heck, corned beef isn't even Irish, properly speaking. It was known but never popular in Ireland. It wasn't until the Irish started coming to the US by the thousands - due to the Potato Famine - that they started eating corned beef. Thanks to the Jewish neighborhoods into which the Irish began to settle.

• Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭

Speaking of Jewish rye bread. Some of the best pickles I've ever tasted are out of Brooklyn. The brand is Ba-Tempte , both the Half Sour and the Garlic are delicious. You can get them on lone.....Amazon I believe.

• Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭