In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mother Nature & the Lord

Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭✭

I've been meaning to take down this Pine tree. Trying to figure out how I was going to attach ropes, etc. to drop it safely. Well Mother nature decided it was time & the Lord put it where no damage was done. It looks closer than it actually was. The 72'er would have just touched the van or trailer. Lucky !!

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,040 ******

I'm glad you got the tree down. I'm more gladder you're a lucky man.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,673 ******
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,243 ✭✭✭✭

Your lucky day. Plus you saved $2 Grand, they would have had to climb that big boy.

Get out the chain saw, that pine makes great kindling.

• Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2

The other day we drove the very long way home because it was beautiful and I saw a semi healthy spruce completely rooted up.

I'm glad you are ok🥴

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Had a huge chestnut oak snag/trunk 4 feet plus through and close to 80 feet tall, about 70 feet from the house, The tree had been dead for many years. The wife and I always commented "need to try and get that thing down before it falls and wipes out half the house". The undertaking would be very dangerous as it was hollow. Came home one day and the "Master" timber cutter had felled it perfectly away from the house out into the woods. Exploded when it hit the ground. No muss, no fuss.

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

Could not believe that the previous owner of the house left big pines close the the slab foundation.

I've been using winches and cables taking them down.

Some tree huggers think they are nice to look at but just don't realize how unsafe Big Pines close to building can be.

Pine tree timber in my neck of the woods are also almost worthless, nothing will grow under them and a real fire hazard. I've seen fires explode all the way to the top of them when the sap starts burning.

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭

The day we moved here in 1995, I cut down every pine tree on our place. We had a couple of them at our old house. I left them because it was too expensive to get them out of the back yard, would have taken a crane.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭✭

There's another tall pine that could hit the house. I'm planning on taking it down when the ground dries out. 2 dbl ropes with come-a-longs and put the excavator against it. It'll hang up on other threes causing more work, but better than it hitting the house.