In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Benelli R1 .338 Win Mag - Magnabrake(d)

Lucky4597 Lucky4597 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
edited March 5 in General Discussion

I can't say enough good things about how this gun shoots and the job Magnaport did getting this brake fabbed and installed. I have another R1 in .308 and that gun had to be re-barreled by Benelli before it was right. Ket throwing flyers 3-4 in left or right w/no pattern every 3rd round. This one is "clover-leafing" @100 and dinging a 6 in gong @200 and 275 and doing so through a 3 round clip. I have a Vortex PST 1x4 on there in a DNZ mount. Granted I have never taken the recoil of a .338 win mag through a 60's era Savage 110 w/a stock buttpad, (I have that gun), but I have heard all about how punishing that can be. This gun feels about like a lighter 12 ga field round - true pleasure to shoot.

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

MagnaPort has a very good reputation. Nice rifle / scope combination. Thanks for the pictures.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

Great Michigan company. I like the performance when I am behind the gun but really hate it when someone next to me is using a brake. I've used their porting on handguns and shotguns as well as their brakes on rifles and all have worked well. Bob

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭

Nice setup. Been looking at a Benelli, hmm.

• Options

I will tell you that both of mine cycle flawlessly - eat anything you feed them. The first one in .308 had accuracy issues and they owned that and got it corrected. I hate sending guns back for warranty work - but I have done it 3 times and in all cases it was worth it. This one did not particularly love Hornady Super-Performance and I don't have many guns that do. The Remington Core-Lokt it really likes and it came around fast after that. The .308 will hit well w/alot of stuff - but it loves Sellier & Bellot 110 grain varmint loads. I have had good luck w/S&B ammo in general.

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭

do we have different ideas about “keyholing?”

• Options

Yes probably - I mean it becuase the two shot groups @100 were one just under or over the other slightly nipping the first hole - and it literally looks like a key slot. Not in the more more technical sense I suppose of a tumbling bullet.

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭
    edited March 4

That’s cloverleaf. Keyholing is an unstable bullet flying sideways So good, glad it’s a hammer. nice rifle

• Options

AHA!!! TY! I love to get edjamacated!!

• Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭

I have one in 270 WSM, that is a real pleasure to shoot. Functions well & very accurate.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

I wouldn't want a gun that was keyholing at 100 yards. Non-starter.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

It's "cloverleafing" I have come to learn - not keyholing.

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

Did it come ported or did you pay for it? Be kind a cool to get a review before and after being ported (if it wasn't ported from the factory).

Lucky4597 - Say are you gonna stick with 1-4 scope?

• Options

I sent the barrel to MP out of the box. I like that PST 1x4 on there. I have a couple rifles w/just an Aimpoint 9000L, a .270 Tikka and a .450 BM Remington 7600 that Accuracy Systems did for me - and they are a blast to shoot and both super accurate.

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭

I'm not much for semi-auto rifles for long range. For one, I reload and when hunting I never can find the brass.

However, their shotguns are incredible. I've got a Rem. 1100 .410 for when I want to challenge myself, and a Franchi SPAS-12 because it's a SPAS-12. LOL. Other than that, I only have Benelli shotguns. They are lightweight, simple mechanics, and as long as you feed the Super Black Eagle at least 1 oz dram, preferably 1 1/8 oz dram eq, they are flawless. That requirement on the 3.5" SBE doesn't seem to apply to the 3" chamber models. I've got M1, M3t's (folders), M4 (including the rare 11711 NP3 model), and a Montefeltro 20 gauge. I am planning on getting a 28 gauge Ethos in the near future.

Some people don't like the new SBE 3's point of aim as it "stacks the dots" instead of hiding them like most other shotgun and the earlier ones in their line.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options

Well, the Argo system seems to have transferred nicely to the R1 platform and the recoil mitigation is outstanding. I have an M4 12 ga and it shoots beautifully also. While I generally agree w/you re semi autos and long range, their are outliers. I have 2 .223/5.56 PAR's - one Troy and one ComGraf, and they are both deadly accurate @300 yard(ish). I also have 4 AR Bolt action uppers from Uintah and they are all stupid accurate. No I would say the lower you mate those to matters and all mine have been reasonably upgraded w/betters triggers, stocks and buffer springs. Technically yiu don't need a buffer spring in a bolt AR configuration - but it definitely helps keep the gun "quiet".

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

bambihunter - Pic rail brass catcher by Caldwell is the ticket or the strap on ones if there is no pic rail. Also a mesh laundry bag does a nice catch all with a wire hanger keeping the mouth open.