In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Do people still play cards like they used to??

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭

I can remember that in the fifties every house seemed to have a card table or two. I remember my parents having other couples over to play cards. I remember bridge clubs and other card games.

In the early 70s my first wife and I played cards almost every weekend with another couple, almost always Hearts.

I haven't played cards in years. So is card playing no longer a thing or is it just me??

I can see where the ones under 30 wouldn't play cards unless they could play cards on their phones!😁

Comments

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭

It has evolved into something different as far as I have seen. Lots of folks get together and play Texas Hold em.....

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭

I still play Sheepshead regularly.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭

Like a lot of other things it’s been replaced by the cellphone. I can remember my mom and dad and the neighbors playing pitch. When working on the railroad when we got to the other end of the trip seems like there was always a pitch game going on.

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

No they don't. Being in the Navy and having no cell phones, internet and being out to sea no TV of any kind we used to play cards when we had the time.

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,687 ✭✭✭✭

We used to play more, but stopped because everyone was tired of doing the same thing every weekend. Recently we've started back up with some younger people that are friends of ours. They have a 2 year old and wanted to be able to get out and do things with the toddler in tow. I have a huge basket of toys....he would bring us trucks and dinosaurs from the basket....went from person to person making us all hold him so he could play cards too. We have fun. We're going to teach them Rook next time.

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4

My Mom and Dad used to play often with his aunt and uncle. I think they played canasta. It was something that used two decks of cards, I remember. They sipped highballs while they played. That was in the 1950s.

I know that bridge was or is popular with a lot of people; there are still newspaper columns about all the finer points of playing it.

Cards never grabbed my attention.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

I remember my folks and 3 or 4 more couples got together weekly to play pinochle but then there were no television I think that was one reason people got together.

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭

My wife and I regularly play Rummy, Yahtzee, and Scrabble. We have a friendly competition going on, and a notebook keeping a record of wins and losses. We are about even (I try to keep it that way😏).

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

We all regularly play cards. Especially Pinochle.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭

My wife and I play gin rummy sometimes. if we're going out to get a drink and some food, we'll probably sit at the bar, play cards, and have an evening.

My in-laws play bridge sometimes. I'd like to learn how to play just so we could all play bridge after I've destroyed everyone in Scrabble. 😂

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

we used to go to an uncle and aunts house where my grampa stayed with them every weekend and the older folks allways played ROOK till the wee hours of the morning, I still have a set of cards but doubt anyone else I know, even knows how to play.........

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,393 ******

When I get together with my brothers, we play Euchre.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

My family used to get together regularly to play spades and then Hold 'em........as we have all gotten older and lost some members, that doesn't happen now.

My mom still plays bridge every week though with her groups.

• Options

Uno is a great card game when the +2 and +4 cards are also drinking cards. Bottoms up!!!!

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7

As a very young kid I learned to play cards

Every weekend we had a house full of family and neighbors ppl saying poker start Friday evening until early Saturday morning then back at it Saturday night until early Sunday morning 5 card draw or stud was the game

Most all of them smoked so our place was like a fog bank not counting gallons of coffee

I remember up to nine people would be sitting on the floor or crowded around the kitchen table

We only lived in a three room apartment so it was wall to wall people the adults and their kids all packed in

When was about 10 or 12 igot to join in for a young kid to win was like wining the lottery for me

Thru the week in the winter the neighbor kids and us would play rummy

The card games continued for many years I will guess I was inmy mid 20's before it just faded out

It progressed from a simple nickle dime game to some trying to show off and buy the pots by betting 10 or twenty dollars then 50 dollars it just got out of control and I am sure some cousins started cheating shorting the pot during a bet

Too bad it came to that for many years it was just a fun way to spend the winter nights

So many stories and memories

Funny but it was the best way to get the family together lol

Side note my dad loved to play cards when he lived in Tennessee theywould go into the woods and hide out to play

The sheriff would catch them sometimes

Once my dad was at the game But had went broke the sheriff gave every one a ticket my dad Saif I was not even playing you saw that

They Gave him s ticket and 10 dollar fine for 'eyeballing"the game my mom had the ticket not sure what ever became of it

I am pretty sure my early card playing help teach me counting and math

• Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭

About the only cards I play are the ones that involve a Cribbage board and my wife. Never liked poker or other games.

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options

Cribbage! I haven't played that in years. Great game

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭

Used to be a holdem king around here. Won several tournaments, locally and one in New Orleans. Now we can't get a game together as a lot have passed and it not hot anymore. Illinois won't let you play for real money now, so I just won 25 million! on Pokerstars .com. Same amount of money mods get in real cash.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

Back in the 40's and early 50's my mom belonged to a bridge club. They would alternate who was the hostess. When I moved to Indy in '62 I remember reading in the Star paper of guys getting busted at home for playing poker for money. I don't know the details of the games but it must have been high limit games not just quarter ante games.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭

Back in the late 1970's my new wife's mom and dad would have friends over.....every Friday night to play dominoes.

These days......the wife has her older friends over on some Fridays to play cards. I have absolutely NO idea what card games these hen party participants play.

I make myself scarce......😨😎

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭

Only at the 'old folks home', the senior citizens center, or the geezers' coffee club.

Everyone else has their phone in their face and disregard everything else.

• Options
    roenm38roenm38 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭

Euchre was our card game in the 60s and 70s. Good behavior and moderate drinking was the norm in Western Wisconsin.

• Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if Euchre originated here in Wisc?

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭

I used to play a lot when I was a kid and there wasn't anything else to do. It's probably been about 50 years since my last game.

Joe

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭

We used to get together with 3 other couples and play pinochle every couple of weeks. People got divorced or moved and we now have only one couple who we get together with every couple of months.

My wife and I still play rummy, spades, cribbage and backgammon, but we miss the larger get togethers.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******

I like to play rummy, but I have no one to play with.

• Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭

My parents used to play, too, back when I was little. I remember going to their friends' house and playing with toys while they played cards. Pinochle or euchre?

I only ever learned how to play rummy. My kids and I played a lot when they were little. Always had a deck of cards in the console to play while waiting for mom in the store.

• Options

My wife and I used to play Pinochle with her mom and dad when they were alive. Haven't played it since but it was a game I enjoyed and have to admit that it made me a much better euchre player!

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

I remember ma and her sister and her husband and JR playing Pinochle for hours in to the wee hours. They were serious, too like lives were at stake. I never learned since it was so serious for so little money.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,996 ✭✭✭✭

When the kids were younger we use to play Uno

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭

I am still trying to learn “ Go Fish”.

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

kinda suprised no other ROOK players here........

• Options

I would always get "The Old Maid" 😲

• Options

There is a group from where I use to work I joined in a few times

Once a month they eould meet up at some ones house asthey took turns where to play

They still get together

But they played a lot of wild rules based on basic games

Like red queens were wild cards or black jacks were wild if you drew the ace of spades you automatically lost so many varations dealer wouldcall the game

Made it interesting most of the time

• Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭

A lot of small towns in SD come to a dead stop for the afternoon pinochle games in the town cafe.

I miss playing spades. When I was in the Army we had tournaments and took it pretty seriously.

formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    MPistoneMPistone Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

All my kids are grown up, so UNO and the like went by the wayside.

Still get into a friendly poker (Hold 'em, Baseball, Stud) game with friends on a regular basis.

That door you just kicked in was locked for your protection - not mine.

• Options
    bs233jlbs233jl Member Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Yea, I still play cards like I used to. I seem to always lose. Ha...

• Options

When my wife and I got married, 1979 her family and us would play uno ? On the weekends during the winter

It was a card game that was popular at the time may still be around? , but honestly, I do not remember much about how the game was played only it brought the family together and passed time