In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cylinder slop

onejaegeronejaeger Member Posts: 20 ✭✭

with the hammer cocked on a double action revolver how much rotational slop/wiggle is acceptable ?

what is the cure ?

Comments

• Options
    Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭

Many revolvers will still lock up into battery with a few thousands cylinder stop play. The only real way to check that alignment is with a range rod.

Sloppy cylinder stop notches can be remedied with an oversized cylinder stop. These are still available for the Smith & Wesson revolvers, and I believe also for the Colt double actions. Both require hand fitting and will affect the timing of the revolver. Work best left to an experienced professional.

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7

What Chris said.........

I would add that with the old Colt Python action design......the cylinder is fully locked...only when the trigger is fully pulled. (edit: at that moment there is zero rotational "cylinder slop")

I am not familiar with the current Python action design.

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭✭

Zero wiggle in cylinder lockup can result in failure to fully lock in a less than totally clean revolver. And of course, it would happen at the worst possible time.

• Options
    vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 297 ✭✭

the only remaining question is... does it spray lead when fired ? some of the revolvers i have will occasionally spray a little lead with the lead cast bullets i use but not consistently, if the one in question sprays every round you fire then the play in the cylinder could be excessive in my opinion

• Options
    onejaegeronejaeger Member Posts: 20 ✭✭

Appreciate all the information. 2 cylinders have almost no wiggle/slop. other 3 have some slop. Rod down the bore only catches on cylinder if I am wiggling the cylinder. Cylinder to forcing cone gap , .005. Tissue paper over cylinder while firing tears paper but not dramatically. do not believe that I am shaving lead. YEAH I know "Quit wiggling the cylinder". BUT , I believe that my question has been answered. What I have is acceptable. My limited experience with revolvers has been with revolvers that were "tight". Will have a new cylinder stop fitted. The Forum has Helped me again. Thank You