In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Daylight Savings Time

BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,435 ******
edited March 10 in General Discussion

I know this subject comes up twice a year but it now gets a K-9 perspective of our silly human ideocracy.

And the Felines are also a bit irritated as well!

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,653 ✭✭✭✭

I wish they would stop talking about it and just go to one time stop this bouncing and every year promising to to set one time and never see follow thru

I know It was suppose to help schoolI kids walking to school on the dark , but the vast majority ride busses anyway now so no walking in the dark

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭

Once upon a time, I read the statistics of switching to DST. It's all about money. The extra hour of daylight each evening contributes to an unimaginable increase in $$ spent on evening entertainment and/or backyard barbeque. When I was working, I started @ 7AM and closed the office @3:30 PM. With DST that gave me approximately 5 hours of time for farm work after I got home versus 4 hours otherwise. That is 25% and made a big difference in productivity.

I don't get too wound up over DST now but the first couple of weeks causes some aggravation until my internal clock resets.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,079 ✭✭✭✭

I love springing forward and getting an extra hour of daylight in the evening.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭

Sheer stupidity. In Spring, we start getting longer days regardless of what the clock says. If we wanted more hours in the evening but were slaves to the clock, we'd simply adjust work hours to 8-4 instead of 9-5.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭

The government will tell you what time it is. All about the control. Now dance.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Arizona doesn't use DST. On the other hand, the very last thing Arizona needs is more sun.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭

Uncalled for artificial man made jet lag for everyone. There are only so many hours of daylight in a day. If I had a choice of time though I would choose daylight savings time. More daylight in the evening works better for me.

• Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9

A wise old Indian chief could never understand why a white man believed that he could cut off one end of a blanket and add it to the other end would it longer!

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭✭

I always hated the nonscence, but now it doesn't make any difference to me. I get up when I want and go to bed when I want.

• Options
    CaneyRiverDogCaneyRiverDog Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
  • Options

CRD, in my role as Chief Pedantic Grammarian, I was going to point out that it's "Saving" with no "s" but elected not to.

• Options
    edited March 9

I go back to work on Wednesday and it will be daylight when I get home from work , that hasn’t been the case for months now. I wish we would stay on DST

• Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to stay on standard time. I prefer getting started earlier and it being daylight earlier in the morning.

• Options
    Lucky4597 Lucky4597 Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

I are a pretty good grammaratarian - it's mathology wheres I requwire hepp.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,094 ******

I enjoy the daylights longer into the evenings. It will do's this with out a clocks.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,665 ✭✭✭✭

I am one of the door greeters at church. Every year at least one poor family comes rolling in, thinking they are 15 minutes early only to discover they are 45 minutes late. Last year a couple showed up and after realizing their error, asked me what they should do....

I suggested they go out for an early lunch ! 🙃

• Options

If you live in Oregon, does this mean you'll get an hour less rain?

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,390 ******

@Merlinnv12 " If only some members would at least proofread their entries before posting it would help."

That sir got you a promote!

• Options
    edited March 10

When your work schedule keeps you in the hospital until 7:15 or later that extra hour of evening daylight is appreciated

• Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Ruger. Even I have to proofread, especially if I dictate something. I have sent a few embarrassing messages in the past.

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    Lucky4597 Lucky4597 Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited March 10

Couple things - 1.) if one wanted posts w/correct grammar and spelling, categorically, one could pre-write them in Word or Outlook and use the Review feature, 2.) I personally am about as likely to do that as monkeys are to come flying out of my butt, 3.) we could collectively lobby GB to add a Review and Spellcheck feature to this platform (NOT!!!) - my Samsung keyboard has some built in but only to "nanny-check" and mostly annoyingly replace words I often purposefully create or misuse, (oh, sorry - I meant "disuse"), 4.) as to the actual topic - I really struggle w/how some people, and this has not been a complaint on this particular thread, kvetch about DST. Anyone who travels for business from west to east does this reset daily/weekly - literally millions of people on commercial domestic flights. It ain't no big whoop.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,435 ******

I do put a few bucks into a Saving....s account at the bank. I have been misled most of my life with the strangeness of the American version of the English language.

This discussion has been closed.