In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

tree stump removal

asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭

What concoction do you pour into the drilled holes to expedite the the rotting process? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭

grind it out and eliminate the agony.

• Options
    Texas1911DETexas1911DE Member Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭

...if you don't use a grinder...pour boiling HEAVYLY salted water in the holes 2-3 times...

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,393 ******

I did that to a stump several years ago and not only did the stump get soft fairly quickly, it also attracted a lot of deer and other critters to the salt lick!

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

I cut them off about a foot or two above ground then just drill hole in the top and put bird feeder on a post, about size of broomhandle in the hole and use it as birdfeeder for a few years, seems the birds/squirells dig holes at the base and withing few years you can pull the entire stump up with truck/tractor/atv with ease if you don't mind looking at it for a few years.....

• Options
    CaneyRiverDogCaneyRiverDog Member Posts: 145 ✭✭

sodium bisulfate from pool store

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind any concoction you use takes a while to be effective. If time isn't a factor, simple rock salt works. It draws out the moisture and leaves a soft fibrous mass that is easy to remove or burn. A little quicker method is common household lye mixed wth water and sprayed into holes drilled in the stump and on the surface. Bob

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭

drill a series of holes around the perimeter and then a larger one in the center. Dump gas down the one in the middle and use road flares in the ones around the perimeter. Be sure to take video of this process and post it back here so we can see the result!

(For those of you that may think this is a really good idea, DON'T DO IT!, it's a joke. We don't really want to see you blow yourself up!)

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9

I removed my stumps the hard way. No access to dynamite. Dug around base of stump with pointed shovel on far side above radial roots. Cut thru roots with real sharp axe. Wrap logging chain around stump and attach to truck in low/low range. Give it a couple test pulls first in case I missed a strong root. Give it a quick jerk and weight of stump and momentum will rip out stump and nearest roots. -----------------------Ray

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭

I'd just set a nice big potted plant on it and leave it.

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭

My mom & dad carved an old stump into a chair. Not real comfortable, mind you, what with the ants crawling on it.

I say blow it up.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10

This is what we do in Austin TX.........

Hook 'em Horns

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

I have about 8 big stumps that I need gone.I am going to rent a tracked stump grinder ($253. a day).There is a poplar stump about 4 feet across and a couple of pine stumps about 3 feet across.I will let you know how it goes.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭✭

It's too late for my method since the tree is cut down. Like Ray, dig around the tree and cut through the roots with a long, coarse blade in a saws all. Then, attach a rope or 2 about 10'+ up the trunk with come-a-longs. Using the trunk for leverage, crank on the lines to pull the tree over while cutting more roots and pop the stump out with the tree.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

T A N N E R I T E

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,243 ✭✭✭✭

"I am going to rent a tracked stump grinder ($253. a day)"

The tracked stump grinder is a beast! I hired a guy to grind some stumps with one at my place. This machine gets the job done.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******

Die and leave it.

• Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭

that sounds pretty harsh! We would miss Asop! I agree with Alan. The stump grinder would do the job quite nicely.

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,994 ✭✭✭✭

I cut down two trees at my daughter’s house and had a company come out to grind the stumps. They had a remote controlled tracked grinder similar to the one in Allen’s picture. That thing made quick work of those two stumps.

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭

I just pour some diesel in the fuel tank of my 27 ton excavator and hit a few levers. Pops the stump right out, Leaves a bit of a divot in the ground though.