In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

History made at Gun Auction yesterday

trawlertrawler Member Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

I attended an estate gun auction in Hillsville Virginia yesterday and watched as a Buckeye single shot shotgun sold for $10,000.00 This may well be the most ever paid for this particular model. Normally I would expect it to sell for $100, or maybe $125. A colt woodsman 2nd generation without a magazine brought $7,500. What happened was two family members (both women) sitting on opposite sides of the room both wanted daddy's or maybe they were grandpa's or great grandpa's guns. Anyway, it sure was something to see.

Comments

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭✭

@trawler Good to have you back in sw Va.

• Options

Thank you, It's good to be home. However, I am going back this Fall to Skagway for 6 weeks during hunting season and for silver salmon fishing. We are converting an ambulance into a camper. It is almost done and will be our home when we travel.

• Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭

Estate sales are always interesting and fun.

That ambulance will get you up north quickly if you turn on the lights! 🚑🚑

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,673 ******

Welcome back to The Old Dominion.

• Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭

I have always said, want to know what happens to your stuff when you are gone? Just go to an auction.

• Options
    Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

I was there to. Front row sitting where I could see one the ladies bidding.

Boy was she mad. Cat fight to say the least.

Trawler, was that you beside me?

• Options

No, I was in center section about half way back. I bought one of the H&R 732 revolvers and the Iver Johnson .22 revolver. I wanted the Colt Woodsman but didn't expect it to go for $7500.00

• Options

Fellow beside me had several pistols, the first to be auctioned, took a beating after the15% sellers fee. He also had the silver. He felt a little better about it. He mentioned being in Alaska for several years is why I asked.

The S&W Model 17 was the best buy of the auction, at least while I was there.

The Norma TAC 22 and Federal match high velocity went waaaay to high,

Folks get auction fever many times.

• Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭

We had a similar situation up here one time, a single shot shotgun brought $18,000. Two brothers fighting over dads gun.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

years ago

a coworker family had a estate sale 1st time was just the family whatever they bought came out of their share of inheritance money. so some items went crazy some not so much after the family sale they held another estate auction for the public sale of course the family could also go to thet one

I thought it was a neat idea to just let the family have 1st shot at the goods

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

If you bump into the lady that won the Colt Woodsman without a magazine tell her I have a genuine Colt magazine for it that I'll let go, I own no Colt Woodsman but I do have a High Standard it fits, I might even let her set the price, she seems like a reasonable lady to me 😃

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭

I think you have a comma and/or a decimal point in the wrong place.

• Options

His commas and decimals are in the correct place.

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭

Having relatives fighting over your stuff after you've died is not the right way to do it. Auctioneers around here usually get 20% or so. The highest I have seen was 30%. That $10,000 shotgun would give the auctioneer several thousand dollars unless they can work something out.