In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Uberti (AMERICAN) 1873 Cattleman Carbine

jpcjpc Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

First introduced as the American and later changed to the 1873 Cattleman Carbine.

Anyone know when Uberti introduced the American and when they renamed it the 1873 Cattleman Carbine?

take care and thanks for your help and input

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13

That's basically a Cattleman. Other than the stock, trigger guard and the long barrel. I reckon why the name change was they didn't like Italians making "American". By them I mean the Europeans.

Also watch where you place your other hand.

*Have you contacted Uberti? If I remember I'll look in my Gun Digest books and magazine annuals. I'm thinking 1990s?

• Options

Interesting theory and thanks for the input.

Still would like to know when this particular model was introduced and when they re- branded it.

thanks again

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭

@yoshmyster is right, "Also watch where you place your other hand."

I had one similar & learned PDQ about the blast from the cylinder/barrel gap.

• Options
    Lucky4597 Lucky4597 Member Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

This may or may not be helpful.

Uberti 1873 S.A.A - The Ned Buntline Special | Henry Krank

https://www.henrykrank.com/uberti-1873-s-a-a-the-ned-buntline-special/

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭

The latest Blue Book I have is the 41st - copyright 2020. It doesn't list when they were first imported - but says import was discontinued in 1989 and reintroduced in 1993.

You can ask Uberti directly. E-mail --- info@ubertireplicas.it

Best Regards - AQH

• Options

Thanks for all the response and input.

I did establish that it has a year code on the receiver and it is BS (in a box) dates it--2002

That satisfied my curiosity ☺

stay safe and thanks again for all the help

• Options

Oh I forgot (I just remembered). If you take the grip frame off they engrave the year on it (the bit that fits in the revolver bit). I didn't know you had it in your possession. I thought you were looking to buy.

• Options

One last thing (doing my Columbo) replace the "flat" trigger spring with a round one from like Wolff. The one in my Bisley didn't last a month. So place an order for a few while on borrowed time if you have a few Uberti replicas.