In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help ID this rifle.

mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭

Need help ID this rifle. 23 inch Barrel in 256 newton. Marked Newton Arms Co. Inc Buffalo NY.

Can barely read this info. The bolt is resent but looks like back of receiver is broken off were tang screw would go.

Comments

• Options
    Lucky4597 Lucky4597 Member Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

I have no idea - but thanks for the Rabbit-Hole! 🤣

256 Newton and 6.5-06

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.256+Newton+and+6.5-06.html

• Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭

Looks to be the Model 1916 and judging by the kickoff sear it was originally fitted with double set triggers. Finding the bottom metal and trigger group may be next to impossible, but a very cool barreled action you have there.

I have a Western .256 Newton round in my cartridge collection, and it is essentially a proprietary 6.5-06 round. I read somewhere that cases can be made by necking up 25-06 brass.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited March 14

Newton was one of the early advocates of the high velocity cartridge. He manufactured his own rifles and cartridges in the 1920's. You are fortunate to have one of his rifles even though in bad condition. There is a lot of info written on him in various gun publications. Good luck.

The action and barrels were made by Newton Mfg.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin

Well the safety looks like a M1917 Enfield, but if that's what the action is it's highly modified.

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14

Great Write up on the Newton Rifles in the "Bolt Action Rifles" By Frank de Hass about a 6 page entry/

Your rifle is show in the photos.

I use the Book al the time for reference.

Search for ISBN 0-873490660-4 UPC 9780873496605

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭

Thanks so much for the information. I will probably put it up for auction. Bore is in good shape.