In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sheep Hybrids

Lucky4597 Lucky4597 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

Ok - I will chuck this grenade - better (wild)life through science or irresponsible threatening of native populations?

Montana's Frankensheep: Rancher spent years creating giant sheep hybrid for shooting preserves | TechSpot

https://www.techspot.com/news/102264-montana-frankensheep-rancher-spend-years-creating-giant-sheep.html

Comments

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭

Irresponsible. Living things from other continents should not be allowed into the U.S.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

I tend to agree but you would have a hard time convincing a lot of pheasant hunters with that blanket statement. Bob

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options

That would be tough for Melania - Hey-Yo!!! 🤣🤣🤣

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,364 ******

Although i somewhat agree with your sentiment. have you been to a grocery store lately? The produce department and most other aisle in the store would be empty if we only sold living things from this continent...

• Options

It gets interesting because there is a difference between non-native, invasive, and feral. One of the most common city rats is the Norwegian, and they were not native to the U.S. We have feral hogs wrecking havoc all over the country. Australia has been fighting the rabbits forever, and now camels as I understand it.

All that said, to mess w/the gene pool is, imo, another level and probably not a great idea. We have some organic hybriding going on between Polars and Grizzlies - probably a habitat squeeze promoting that which would be indirectly man-made. But this Island of Dr. Moreau stuff seems weird af.

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭

I read that they make wonderful pets.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭

Just look at the high fence whitetail ranches. Some of those deer look grotesque.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭

" Rancher spent years creating giant sheep hybrid for shooting preserves "

At that point, the sheep are no longer 'wildlife' and biologically should be considered domesticated livestock. The big issue with the original plan was illegal importation of the 'genetic material'. Depending on the statute of limitations on the original violation, the whole thing may just be spitting into the wind.

Here's one of those questionable 'is it or isn't it' wildlife: Twenty something years back, Missouri Dept of Conservation made a decision that high fence enclosure deer operations were 'agricultural enterprises' and claimed zero responsibility. Missouri Dept of Agriculture responded that they had zero knowledge of whitetail deer husbandry and could/would not be responsible for oversight of these operations. Results: No one was responsible or made any effort to oversee how these 'businesses' operated. No overwatch of transportation/importation of animals, no consideration of health/vaccination/disease history, literally just an open to anything-do as you please scenario. FINAL RESULT: CWD was imported in the process and now it's a statewide epizootic.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭

Most folks probably aren't aware that pheasants (and huns, and German brown trout, house sparrows, starlings) were imported. They've been here for so long they've become a part of what is now considered the norm for an area.

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

Mobuck - Dude skirted C.I.T.E.S. with the importation. Now had he had frozen ram juice he might've never been caught. Also had they "escaped" like the Aoudad in Nuevo Mexico/Tehas he might've gotten away with it. I wonder if he got argali sheep instead of the subspecies Marco Polo would've made a difference?

Looking forward to this version of "Tiger King" or is it more like Dr. Moreau.

• Options
    Gunnut358Gunnut358 Member Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

How many years has there been talk of cloning Mastodons and the like, which has yet to happen? Long as I can remember. A rancher decides one day "I'm bored. You know what? I'm gonna make something. Hmm.....Bingo! Turbo Sheep!" and made it happen. Can't fault the guy for trying, and not wasting billions in the process.

Somebody should talk him into creating a species of trout that are allergic to river outfitters and fly fishermen. Got my fingers crossed on that one.🤣

• Options
    edited March 19

The worry is someone is going to breed, let's say a Marten or Fisher the size of a German Shepard. It wouldn't take many 70 lb uber-weasels to eat damn near everything on earth that walks, runs or crawls.

• Options
    Gunnut358Gunnut358 Member Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, it would go from "oh look at the cute lil Fisher running along the river" to "oh crap I forgot the beehive rounds" in a hurry.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭

As long as the sheep can't talk the farmer should be OK

At least the old jokes referred to it

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

I heard on the radio recently they're getting close to have mastodons back snuffle uppeling again. I look forward to hunting shows on them using Barretts.

• Options

" Rancher spent years creating giant sheep hybrid for shooting preserves "

At that point, the sheep are no longer 'wildlife' and biologically should be considered domesticated livestock. The big issue with the original plan was illegal importation of the 'genetic material'. Depending on the statute of limitations on the original violation, the whole thing may just be spitting into the wind.

"Mobuck - Dude skirted C.I.T.E.S. with the importation."

I'm pretty sure that's what I said. Is there or what is the statute of limitations for a CITES violation? If that period has passed, the violation is bluster and BS(no longer chargeable?).

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,395 ******

I'm pretty sure the chicken production industry has already done some wild genetic propagation over the last several years. The enormous SIZE of those breasts with only three in a family pack still has me looking like 😲, every time I shop for chicken!

The 12 dollar plus or slightly minus price tag also has me looking the same. Sadly, I find it very difficult to keep them from drying out when cooking and they always taste like nothing at all.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

^^ABSOLUTELY, have you seen pics of some of the skanks schlumping across the border lately?🙃