In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

House painting OMG

bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭

Hard to believe how much prices have gone through the roof.

Having our house painted next month and interviewed six painting contractors, all of the bids were from $9500. to $11,000. Talk about sticker shock. I remember when $5000. was stupid expensive ............... sigh, those days are long gone.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

Comments

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭

In the book The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Tom got Ben to paint a fence for him by showing Ben his bad toe. Maybe if you went bare foot for a couple days and got a sore toe. Lol

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,395 ******

I've never really been too overly attracted to the vinyl siding on my house but have to admit that it does have its advantages.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭

DIY! Rollers & brushes 10 Gallons per average house, $30-55 gallon for quality paint, take the savings and buy a few nice guns.

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭

I'll do it for $9499.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

Last gallon of paint I bought at the hardware store was almost 70 bucks.It was interior paint that She Who Must Be Obeyed picked out.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭

My ceilings need to be done . About 1400 Sq ft. Crown molding in a few rooms . Will run a bunch just in paint . Hate doing it but painting and hanging wallpaper were my side gigs for the past 40 years.

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,395 ******
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16

The house was neglected as far as any kind of routine maintenance was concerned, it hadn't been painted in nearly 15 years (gotta love stucco) . It's a pretty big house outside as it has 12 and 14 foot ceilings so there is a lot of exterior square footage and stucco takes more paint compared to a house with a smoother surfaced wall (ours will take about 15 + gallons). They pressure wash, patch any small cracks and such, then the house gets a sealer coat and two coats of paint. Gutters, down spouts, fascia and soffits are included as is the pool deck.

The paint is Sherwin-Williams Emerald. I'll post a before and after picture as soon as there is an "after".

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options

For that much work , price sounds reasonable depending on where you live

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

Price of paint is a jaw dropper now days.

and find good labor or contractor is the tricky part.

Low bidder is scary. In the category of a low bidder on a NASA built rocket you are riding on..

• Options
    edited March 16

Pulled some records . Last whole house paint I did was 23 years ago and ran a little over $4000. Plus the cost of paint

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,997 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17

I got quotes last summer for my daughter’s house prepping, priming and two coats of paint $4800 plus paint. Quote on her deck prepping and two coats $2600 plus stain. I did it myself. l also stained the underside of her deck .

• Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭✭

Our neighbor who is an excellent painter wanted 3500 just to paint it with my dad supplying the paint and doing all the prep. I forgot how much if he did it all.

Dear old dad just did it himself.

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

Im getting my house painted next week.

Also stucco, & same Sherwin Williams. Redoing the pool deck while the painter is there.

Because I like to live dangerously, The painting crew is doing everything but the exterior doors while we are away on vacation.

So when I come home, the house will be a different color!

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭✭

I gave up hiring a painter over 40 years ago. It's not just the absurd price they want. Never could find anyone to prep and paint like I do. It's all in the preparation. ------------------Ray

• Options
    edited March 17

Prep is important but it is impossible to do a good job with cheap brushes. I use Purdy and some of the top of the line Sherman Williams brushes .Wooster makes a very good brush also . I suspect I have over $300 .00 just in brushes . Only time I buy a cheap brush is to do some minor painting on old farm equipment using oil based paint .

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭✭

Preparation is everything to me. I agree on the Purdy/Wooster brushes. Nothing worse than a cheap brush. Poor results and will wear your hand/wrist out. -------------------Ray

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,364 ******

$300 in brushes today doesn't buy the brushes it used to....😕

• Options

True but I have many brushes that are 10 years old . My painting for others has been almost nonexistent over the past 10 years . Another victim of arthritis

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,997 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17

My Dads side hustle was painting, he taught me you need proper prep, good lighting, quality paint and brushes. I still use oil based paint on all interior trim and doors.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18

Not to change the topic, but you should price getting an entire vehicle painted....if you can find anyone willing to do it! 🤯

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭

I've painted my house twice in the 40 years here. Not doing it again. Getting new siding and windows if/when we can agree on window type/size. 10 year old metal roof and new metal siding to match the new shop building.

I won't live long enough for this to be an issue again.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,186 ✭✭✭✭

I know what your saying, just had a metal roof put on last year, ask the guy when he was done what type of warranty he gave on the roof. He told me 40 years!!!!!!!! I'm not sure even my kids will be around then...

• Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18

My roof is thick 26-gauge metal and should last. My house is all brick with metal everywhere else so no painting and has Anderson windows. It really helps when your dad builds houses. Other than some sub-contracting I have no labor invested.