In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can Anyone I.D. This .22 LR Firing Block?

buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hello!

I have been trying to figure out what model of Derringer or small single-shot pistol that this "firing Block", (If that is the correct name for this item), is designed to fit. It is definitely chambered for a .22 LR cartridge, and it looks like this item will pivot out on the center pin hole. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Thank you!

Buttplate

Comments

• Options
    Anti KueAnti Kue Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

I think Smith & Wesson may have had something like this. Looked like a revolver but with a flat block for a cylinder.

• Options
    williwmwilliwm Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited March 17

The Colt Camp Perry used a similar block but it’s definitely not the Colts. S&W made several ss handguns but None used a swingout block to my knowledge. Looking at the machining of the bottom locking notch and lack of an extractor leads me to think it may have been someones project to convert a revolver to a ss.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭

At first glance it reminds me of a Smith& Wesson model 1891 target pistol. However that can’t be account of the model 1891 had a barrel and flat chamber as one piece. It is hard to tell from the pictures but it appears that the solid bottom under the chamber is shorter. If there are no proof marks on this flat chamber I would guess that it is someone’s attempt at making a revolver into a single shot pistol for some reason. Possible someone had a revolver that didn’t have a cylinder and decided to make a single shot block in order to make the gun serviceable as a single shot pistol.

• Options
    buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭

Thank you all for your inputs. It is more than likely what you've said about someone making a single shot revolver cylinder. I have found some pictures that show a Rollin-White patent that resembles this cylinder/firing block somewhat.

Thank you all again!

Stay safe!

Buttplate