In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Heirloom tomatoes

bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭

I promised myself I wouldn't buy any store-bought hybrids this year.

I have one rescue Brandywine plant from last year that's looking pretty good,

as well as quite a few seedlings from various other heirlooms.

Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Blonde Beauty, Mexico Midget and Black Cherry.

The big rescue Brandywine is growing like crazy.

The seedlings are showing a lot of promise.

Anybody else here like growing tomatoes as a hobby?

Comments

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭

They're so good!!! Like a ready to eat meal right from the vine. Good luck with your crop!

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭

Thx Kev.

Heirlooms are prone to more problems than hybrids,

but when temp/rainfall/growing conditions in general are all aligned

they can produce some really flavorful tomatoes.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******

We started some from seeds last year. Started about February and kept them under grow lights. They did good until I planted them in the garden in late May. They produced, but the fruit would only get to tennis ball size. Lots of work for little reward.

• Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭✭

I love fresh tomatoes.❤️ I tried to grow them 🥴 they aren't fond of Humboldt County weather unless you have a green house or don't live on the coast.

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

I bought my first Cherokee Purple from an, out of State, stand. It was fantastic. I have since bought and grown a few and none were that good.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭

What variety are you raising there? Those tomatoes are 'bout big enough to feed brier-49's bear!

• Options
    Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

When I was physically able, I raised and ate tomatoes all summer long. I refused to eat the "store bought", flavorless red things. Last year, my wife raised them in planter boxes on our deck. Loved the Brandywines (I still have some seed). The largest was about 2 lbs. They didn't look as good as yours, with more fissures and defects, but still tasted good. Our climate is not really tomato friendly in SW Wa, but they did reasonably well.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭

@NeoBlackdog Those were Better Boy. They were Bonnie brand starter plates. The raised gardens are mostly filled with composted horse manure from the neighbors down the road, it’s like go power food for the plants. Lol They make good green tomatoes as well for making fried green tomatoes.

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭

I grow around 20 plants every year, staggered plantings so I have fresh maters for around 4 months of the year.

I have bunny poop that I put on my garden in the fall where I'm going to plant maters in the spring applied at least 8 to 10 inches thick. I don't bother with fertilizer!!😁

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

I miss fried green 'maters.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,392 ******

I like Green Tomato Dills!

YUM!

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

The good thing about heirloom tommie toes is they will produce seed for later generations vs the current types that may not produce viable seed.