In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bulged primers and brass safety

I’ve run across a curious problem.

In some cases, while resizing & depriming some 9mm, the spent primer isn’t being ejected. The common factor is that those primers seem to be bulged as if someone reloaded them with too much powder.

I could adjust my extractor pin to deal with the matter but if the brass has been subjected to excessive pressure, it could be compromised.

Any thoughts?

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

Comments

• Options
    Anti KueAnti Kue Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

I've seen this with primers that are crimped in (usually with military brass). I some times have to ream the crimp to get a new primer to seat correctly (or use a swagger to properly size the primer hole).

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited March 22

Possible (1) The primer metal is soft, (2) The primer is a loose fit in the case. (3) The case flash hole is too large allowing excess gas to bear against the primer. Good luck.

If the brass LOOKS good, both outside and inside, and is not bulged excessively, it should be good. All you can do is load ten and try them. Excessive force to size them would be an indicator of too much expansion, i.e., high pressure.

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭

Good info, guys. If I take the brass and stand it on end (primer down), there are some that wobble because the center of the primer pushed outward when fired. Looks like a bunch of overloaded 9mm that I picked up at the range.

I extended the depriming pin so it removes those primers but, would you trust that the brass itself is still in good shape?

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

Usually, but it isn't an absolute, straight walled cases like 9mm don't have the same stretching problems bottle necked cases do. Providing the primer pockets are o.k., I'd just inspect for cracks like I always do anyway and use them. But hey, I'm cheap! Bob

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

also 'bulged' primers usually don't come from an 'over load' but from excessive headspace