In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How are the goats??

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

They are losing weight. But they're not all that interested in the hay I have for them now that the weather has warmed a bit and the ground is no longer snow covered. They're just out and about browsing around most of the day eating whatever green thing shows up... that isn't the hay. They still pine for the grain I have for them though. And speaking of pine, they love some fresh pine boughs and that's good for their gut, so I've given them some from what blew down the last time it was windy.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******

Glad they're doing good. They are picky eaters for being goats.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of people have incorrect ideas about what goats will eat. The Grandkids' goats are far more picky than any critter I've dealt with. If the hay gets rained/snowed on, they won't eat it. If the hay touches the ground, they won't eat it. If another goat touches it or slobbers on it, they won't eat it. If there's a single weed stem in a bale, they won't eat the hay within 4-5" of that weed.

The rate of waste even when feeding in hay feeders is 25-30%. Tough to justify when hay of the quality I produce is bringing $125-150 per ton.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******

Goats are melodious creatures.