In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1 x 10 boards versus chip boards

ROY222ROY222 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

They are finally rebuilding my house from the tornado. The house originally had 1x 10 boards for the roof. They were rebuilding the roof with 1 x 10 boards but ran out and finished with chip boards which are about the size of plywood sheets for part of it.

They look like wood chips just glued together and pressed into a sheet. Are these sheets any good? The contractor said that is what they use anymore and are as good a 1 x10 boards.

Does that sound right?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******

OSB is commonly used as roofing underlayment. Is it as good as 1 x 10 ? I guess that depends on your definition of good. They will be tougher impact-wise, but likely won't be quite as strong load-wise. But if they are laying down 1" thick OSB then it will be more than stout enough for any roof application. I used 7/16" on my shop, just as a reference.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭

It's orient strand board, or OSB. Very common in modern construction and much more affordable than most other types of material.

It's strong as long as doesn't get exposed to a lot of moisture.

• Options

I get a lot of wind here. Do you think the nailed on shingles will hold as good as the 1 x10?

• Options

Mine have held up for over 30 years. Getting a new roof next month, and unless something is rotted, the new shingles will go on the same OSB

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭

Particle board, OSB, had a bad reputation 20, 30 years ago. It was not very good.

When I built the addition on my log cabin 6 years ago, I made the subfloor with OSB named Advantech. I used 3/4 inch, tongue and groove. I had researched it, and this stuff is top quality, and is stronger than plywood. Thirty years ago, when I built log cabins I always used 3/4 plywood for the subfloor, so OSB has come a long way.

I think OSB would be fine for a roof.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

I call it "BEAVER BOARD"...........AS THE OTHERS HAVE SAID, JUST AS GOOD FOR ROOFING

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin

Ok OK the guys are right in it being strong. But you get any water, moisture etc on it and it is done. If your attic is not vented properly that stuff will mold. If you develop a roof leak that stuff will swell up to one inch thick and turn to mush. I will not even allow a sheet of that on my property. If the can't finish out with 1x10, finish out with 3/4" CDX plywood. That would be overkill as 1/2" is standard roof sheeting. That OSB is just stuff that should have went in the hog fuel bin IMO

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭

Advantech OSB is for all intents and purposes waterproof and is an ideal roof sheathing. I'd way rather use that than a bunch of 1x10.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,038 ******

OSB doesn't split or cup

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

OSB is OK until it gets wet. If you have a roof leak, the OSB sheathing will swell up, rot, and then disintegrate.

• Options
    edited March 23

It takes a long time to build a custom log cabin. This addition to my house is 20 x 24, it took us 3 months to get the roof on, what with cutting all the dovetail notches, making the summerbeam by hand etc. It rains a lot here in the Blue Ridge Mountains, you can see the water standing on the deck in this pic. There were dozens of mornings when we had to sweep all the water off the deck before we began work. The water didn't affect the Advantech OSB.

I know that 30 years ago OSB was poor quality and would swell up when wet. That is why, 30 years ago I used PT 3/4 plywood for subfloors. OSB has come a long way in 30 years.

• Options

The subfloor on a log cabin really takes a beating. The home made crane is 200 pounds, the 9 cinder blocks are 270 pounds, and the white pine log is 250 pounds. All that weight on 3 little wheels. The subfloor of a framed structure is never subjected to such strain. But the Advantech held up without a complaint.

• Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

Where OSB would fail ahead of other types is under what is known as direct flame impingment. What happens is the glue melts. Not that it would matter especially on a roof. Those engineered beams, that's where it matters.

• Options

I took some pictures of it. I could not tell one way or another if if is regular chipboard or waterproof for a roof. It is painted green along the edge. I don't know if that is an indicator or not. Thanks,

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25

Looks like a Weyerhauser product, what would be considered 5/8" at .609". It doesn't appear to be one of the full on 'waterproof' products, but neither are the 1x10's they put up. With the roofing underlayment (tar/felt, etc) and a properly laid down shingle roof you should be just fine with this. Though my preference would be for Advantech or something similar I would not be the least bit concerned about the stuff they're using on your place if they can get it covered before it receives a bunch of rain.

• Options

The paint on the end of OSB and other plywood products is visual indicator for the thickness. Each has it's own color designated to aid warehouse and construction workers.