In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Yesterday was World Down Syndrome Day

austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,994 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 23 in General Discussion

Here are some of my hospital coworkers celebrating and showing their support

Comments

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭

All of those multicolored/rainbow hued socks, what has gay got to do with Down Syndrome???

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭

The karyotype of down syndrome chromosomes looks like mismatched socks. People with down syndrome have an extra copy of chromosome 21. Nothing gay about it.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭

my wife had a uncle I met about a 1/2 dozen times early on in our marriage he lived at a nursing home but one of his sisters would pick him up and take him places , each year one of the places was Christmas family get togethers . when he passed on. best I recall he was he was the longest living down syndrome person ever .

they just called him bubby . I guess later on he started doing paintings I never seen one but sounds like he had a list of people waiting for him to paint one for them

I remember each Christmas most all of us would give him some cash to spend as he wanted back at the nursing home

the family thought he may have had issues because his mom was older I think she was in her 50's but ca not recall her age just they said she was too old to have kids when she had him when she had him but who knows way back people looked for a reason right or wrong and went with it

RIP Bubby

• Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭

My daughter has downs. She's 16.

• Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭

Crazy that they got that dog to wear socks. Would be a fistfight getting those on my dog.

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭

I had a Down's child. Peter was born with a heart defect. Very common with Down's children. Peter died having his heart defect repaired. Peter died January first 1986. Peter was two years, two months and two weeks old when he died. I got to hold him and rock him for the last time in the morgue at Childrens Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. There is a small room off the morgue with a rocking chair in it. A nurse brings you your dead child, complete with a toe tag on his big toe. You sob and rock, sob and rock, sob and rock, until you are dry, there are no more tears. You realize life will never be right again. Then the sobbing starts again.

Thirteen years, three months and three weeks later his brother Uri Peter was born. Uri is a gift from God himself. No man has ever wanted a child more than I wanted Uri after losing Peter.

I'm sobbing as I type this, 38 years later. The pain of losing a child never goes away. Never.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
  • Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭✭

I'm reading this a little late... But I'm crying with you.

Heaven.... It will be wonderful to get there.

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,390 ******

I had a cousin "Barbara", who was a few years younger than myself with Down Syndrome. My Aunt and Uncle were both older when she was born. Thinking mid 40's. Barbara was a happy sweet girl, all the times I was around her at family gatherings several times each year. When her parents passed on, she was placed in a state funded adult apartment complex for the handicapped.

Around 1990 or so, I was driving a city bus in our small town and got a call to pick someone up at that facility and take them to the mall. That someone turned out to be my cousin Barbara, who I had not seen or heard from in nearly 20 years! As she was boarding the bus, she looked up at me and her face lit up with a glowing ear to ear smile. "Hi Joe!" she said! After all the years, she still remembered me! Sadly, she passed away a few years later around the age of 45.

• Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭

I thought of JohnMark Hass yesterday.