In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'm putting together a self/home defense AR made to my personal requirements. Suggestions welcome!!

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭

I have certain physical weakness's that I need to address to come up with my ideal defense weapon.

I had a stroke 9 years ago that has left me pretty crippled up with weakness in both arms and hands plus I have trouble walking. Along with weak hands I seem to be developing arthritis in my hands, adding to the problems. This is not me whining or complaining, this is me explaining what my needs are and why I'm thinking the way I am.

So here is my thinking on my self defense weapon.

First, it needs to be light weight. So I'm looking at one of the short barreled uppers, the 7 or 8 inch type of short. This helps both on weight but also on ease of maneuvering if ever used in the house.

I'm debating between 300 Blackout and 5.6. I'm leaning towards the 300. I've read the 300 was developed for use with a short barrel so that makes sense to me.

Bear Creek Arsenal has side charging which I want because it will be much easier for me to operate than the rear charging handle. (Weak hands, remember??)😁 Also I have much more muscle memory for using the side charging since it is like I have used on thousands of rounds with my 10-22s, auto shotguns, Mini-14s and others. If things are starting to go pear shaped, muscle memory is a wonderful thing!!

Sights. So many options, except in my mind not really. Red dots or reflex sights are out. If I ever have to use this weapon, I don't want Mr. Murphy showing up and at that point finding out the battery is dead, the shake awake function don't function or I can't find the on switch in the dark. Always remember, there is never a problem with any weapon as it just lays beside the bed, the problems never arise until you go to use the weapon.

I will probably go with open sights but just might, if I'm having trouble with open sights, I might go with a small light weight, short scope of the 1x3 or 1x4 type or maybe a 2x or 3x. Does anyone even make a 2x or 3x??

If I understand the new laws, this short barrel is legal if I put a pistol brace on it. At least that is the opinion of my shooting buddy who usually seems to be up on things like this. Am I missing something??

So, as you read my thoughts, let me know if you think I've missed something or perhaps you think this thing or that thing might be an improvement. Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭

JMHO, 300 BO Subsonic. If you have to use it for home defense, it will be up close and personal. Subsonic has a bit less recoil, flash, and noise (still gonna ring your bell), but will have enough stopping power. Also, don't go with a 30 round magazine, it won't be as maneuverable in tight spots. Considering your physical problems, an extended bolt release and magazine release might be helpful. Good Luck!!

PS--have you considered a pistol caliber?

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭

I thought about a pistol caliber but my opinion has always been that pistol calibers are what you use until you get to your rifle or shotgun.

I had thought about sub sonic but I hadn't thought about not using a 30 round. I have a couple of ten round mags. I guess if I can't take care of the problem with ten shots, twenty more probably wont help!😁

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭

Kel Tec RDB Bullpup you won't believe how quick and handy they are till you try one.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23

For in the house close combat it’s hard to beat a 12 gauge shotgun with a 18 inch barrel. You can point it, you don’t have to aim it.

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭

My father in law has a Ruger PC carbine in 9mm. Ghost ring sight, Glock magazine compatible, easy to shoot, and accurate as all get out.

drop some subsonic ammo in that magazine and I’d say it makes a great home/self defense firearm as well as a great shooter when you want to go plinking. Plus, it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭✭

If it must be an AR, definitely go with a side charger. It is much faster and more convenient to use, and you can operate it with the barrel pointed at the problem, not at the ground. And 10 round mags are a good idea also. The 30 rounders are for Hollywood. In the real world they just get in the way, and if you ever have to go prone, they cause a big problem.

• Options
    Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Does your "weakness" cause any problem charging a AR platform? Some can be pretty stiff?

5.56 and use fragmenting ammo. My 2 cents. You can get .223 or 5.56 almost any where if the fragmented is not handy.

Or as said, something of the blackout nature

• Options
    Lucky4597 Lucky4597 Member Posts: 229 ✭✭✭
    edited March 24

This a Foxtrot Mike AR9 I put together - they don't sell this particular upper/lower combo as complete gun. It's super light and very low recoil - and the side charger is a very short stroke. I upgraded the trigger to a CMC 3.5 lb match, Houge grip and a Gunfighter stock. I'd be surprised of it weighs 5 lbs. Big Bonus - like a lot of AR9's - now you're using a regular ol' Glock mag. The attachment may be a little better quality pic.

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭

INHO 300 would be a better choice for short distance close contacts and 6,8 SPC for 100 - 300 yard if you must go with an AR. For close quarters S&W FPC 9mm is a good choice.

Always thought the UZI was the ultimate for close quarters 10 million built speaks volumes.

• Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24

My suggestion, based on your question:

1. 5.56
    2. 10.5” side charger upper with fixed front sight post.
    3. Add a detachable carry handle and keep on the large aperture ring. Note: you can always swap the carry handle for an optic later if you wish.
    4. Pistol brace added to the buffer tube.

I think you’ll find that a 10.5” setup like this will be plenty compact and meet your goals.

My suggestion as an alternative:

A 9mm carbine…..Ruger, Keltec, or even an AR version side charger.

Note: I think Bear Creek even has a .45 ACP AR blowback side charger if you prefer that.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

I DO NOT recommend a short barrel .223/5.56 for ANY use other than a range toy or as a suppressor host. The muzzle blast is like a slap in the face and definitely adverse to any follow up if fired inside. The 300BO options will produce noise/muzzle blast similar to a 357 magnum since it uses a similar powder charge and bullet weight. Sub-sonic will lessen that a bit but not much.

There are some options for 'side charging' and I would recommend you consider the 'Foxtrot Mike'(?) version with the left side forward mounted operating knob or similar.

Currently, Bear Creek is offering an upper featuring 9mm 5" barrel with left side charging and right side ejection. I'd already have one ordered except for the 1/2 x 36 muzzle threads which don't match my current muzzle devices.

• Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭

I am a fan of fat and slow in the bedroom. 223 is good for 200 yards. 44 is good for 4

if you need more than a handgun how about an sks 12 ?

Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭

In 'Nam, my "cockpit gun" was a CAR-15 with something like a 14" barrel and collapsible stock. It was handy and light and REALLY REALLY REALLY LOUD.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

I keep a 18 inch barrel 12 gauge pump loaded with number 5 shot high brass loads in my workshop.

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

Stay away from bear creek they seem to have more bad review than good.

If you're going the pistol route go AK with what they call Bulgarian 4 piece booster (I got the one made by CNC Warrior). If you're stuck on .300BLK they might make them for AK?

As for sights go old school Armson OEG with Tritium.