In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Do I still need a turkey choke? Two 12 ga., two targets.

utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
edited March 29 in Ask the Experts

Done a lot of hunting but never for turkey. That will change in a month or so as my oldest and I will head out to bag a Rio Grande or Merriam's as we have both here in Utah. I have two 12 gauges - a 1948 Sears and Roebuck JC Higgins 102.25 with the poly choke and a 1977 Browning Auto-5. Took both out yesterday to pattern with the Winchester Super X 4 shot. I'm limited to 2 3/4" in each. Shots taken at 30 yards without the aid of a rear site. The first is the JC Higgins with the poly choke dialed to full. This is definitely out as a turkey gun. The second is the Browning with a full choke. Much better pattern but as a turkey newby, is this adequate or do I need to restrict more with a turkey choke?

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******

Depends on how good a caller you are.

• Options
    utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

try opening up the polychoke a little (mod. or imp. mod)

• Options
    Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭

You need more choke.

But but, one must pattern the choke and round you plan on using. Too much choke on larger shot will usually blow a hole in the pattern.

Some shots have been successful at various ranges. Saw a luck shot last year at close to 90 yards using a 20 gauge with 9TSS. Many 30 and 40 yards missed. Keep in mind a thunder chicken can pop up real close to you, say 5 yards or less.

Good hunting

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with opening the poly a bit. Keep in mind that plastic wad cups didn't really start being used until the 70's and an old full choke poly setting could be to tight and blowing your pattern. I've seen older barrels marked full that worked fine with the old paper wads not work well with plastic wads. Squeeze the shot column to much and more shot gets deformed and then the pattern opens up. Personally, I would have no problems using your A5 as long as you keep your shooting near that 30 yds limit or closer. Bob

• Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭

A5 is definitely fine at 30 yds. Pattern is a little high but very evenly dispersed. When aiming at a Turkey it is best to aim for the middle of the neck, that way the pattern should cover the head and lower neck area. I would also pattern it at 40 yds and you might try some Winchester Long Beard loads, they generally pattern better than the Super X.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

Those patterns are not terrible but 30 yards doesn't leave much room for error. Have you considered using #6 shot or maybe some of the 'safe for older guns' non-lead loads? That would 'fill in' many of those turkey head sized holes in the pattern and maybe add 5-10 yards.

When I was guiding turkey hunters, my custom choked 870 was loaded with 2 ounce loads of #4 just in case I had to knock down an escaping gobbler. Kicked like no other but was good for 50 yards. I had to quit that due to shoulder injuries. This year, I'm going to use a 20 ga with 'heavier than lead' shot and about 50% less recoil.

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited March 28

I'm not overly impressed with either load.

But, all it takes is one pellet.

Your pattern would drastically improve if you buy an actual turkey load.

My long time friend who has over 100 birds killed and multiple grand slams wife just sent me a pic of her target.

She is 4'6" shooting a 20 gauge at 40 yards.

She has close to 50 shots in the kill zone using Boss ammo.

If nothing else I'd jump down to # 5 or 6 if just using regular loads.

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭

Take the A5 and stick to 30 yards. Like said above, aim towards the middle of his extended neck! You can partern it at 40 yards to see what happens. Just stick to your max yardage when hunting!

My wife uses a Ruger Red Label, ruger full choke, and winchester super x 3in #4s. She has killed multiple birds at 60 yards, one at 65 yards.

You do NOT have to have an extra full choke. The key is.....pattern what you have and ONLY take shots that you have proven will work(by practice patterning)!

• Options
    tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭

Once,while helping a young hunter clean his turkey ,I could find no pellet holes but there was a dime-sized hole in the lower abdomen.When asked what gun he'd used he said "20 gauge" .I then asked" how close were you." "Pretty close"he said.Inside I found a plastic 20 gauge wad.

This discussion has been closed.