In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Tyme radio shows

Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭

you folks might enjoy this. Lots of radio shows from bygone days and plenty of westerns.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,391 ***** Forums Admin

Thanks Kevin, I have heard of some of those. I'll check them out.

• Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭

” the shadow knows “

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    Lady Rae Lady Rae Member Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭✭

I always enjoy the radio version of Gun smoke and Johnny Dollar Insurance investigator

"Independence Now, Independence Forever."

John Adams

• Options
    tnrangertnranger Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

I like Sirius XM channel 148, Radio Classics when I'm on a drive that's long enough. Gunsmoke, The Six Shooter, Texas Rangers, Johnny Dollar, Suspense, X Minus 1, Our Miss Brooks plus a host of others. Can also be streamed with many subscriptions, if one has the data.

• Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭

used to tune in every Saturday night to the local am station for the shadow

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,393 ******

I used to listen to Mystery Theater read by E.G. Marshall when doing a lot of traveling back in the late 70's. The suspense kept me from falling asleep at the wheel!

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31

As a young boy in the '40's, I would rush home from grade school and listen to Sky King, Lone Ranger, Sgt. Preston, Cisco Kid, and others on the radio. I couldn't wait until one offered a special 9ring for sale. I rushed to buy every one. Most were $0.25 or $0.50. I don't think I (my folks) ever payed a dollar for one. A few years later I enjoyed listening to Amos & Andy, Fibber McGee, & Molly, and 1-2 others. I never was a fan of the 3 Stooges or Abbott & Costello as I didn't think they were funny but just stupid. As for the Cisco Kid, I took my much younger sister to see him for a cowboy show in Peoria. After a long wait, he came galloping out of the gate to the arena and fell off his horse. Perhaps there was alcohol involved.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭✭

cbxjeff, by golly we listened to the same programs. Granny and Grandpa and i loved Amos & Andy the most i think. Great memories. Grandpa sat by pot bellied stove and chewed tobacco. Missed spittoon once in a while and hit side of stove.

Granny and I crowded around radio and taking in every word of Amos & Andy by light of kerosene lamp. No electric in the house and really out in the boonies. Radio was huge about 1.5 feet long and battery for it was a monster. Had a very long copper braided wire outside with a ceramic insulator on both ends about 50 feet long. That thing would pull in stations from hundreds of miles away especially with a fresh battery. I remember it pulled in country music from Wheeling, WVA , Ohio and farther down south to Central Virginia.

They also had one of those refrigerators with three kero burners underneath and big tank on top for anti-freeze. Life sure was simple then. Thanks for memories. ——————————Ray

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

At one time I was traveling in areas where you could not get a radio station- Ten Sleep Wyoming, Blanding Utah and the like. Our local library had old time radio shows on cassette. Yep, Fibber McGee and Molly, Lum and Abner's Jot-em-down store, some of the drama series. Our teenaged daughter got hooked on them.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1

I will check them out as a kid the car radio was it we did not have one in the house

but it would not have mattered to me a radio was all 100% old country music all my dad listed too he would say any thing else was a waste of good air time

but any way I look them up as I have listed to the old classic radio programs.

maybe even send off for my orphan Annie decoder ring 😁

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭

Lum & Amber was still playing in the 1980s at a local radio station. Quite the series.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,393 ******

I'll again mention another modern radio program that I liked back in the 60's.

😁

• Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭

Zoomer Radio, AM 740, out of Toronto, every night from 10 P.M. to 11 P.M. , Eastern Standard .,a mix of all the shows. I enjoy the commercials.