In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vietnam Veterans Day

Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭

Almost forgot this. Crisp salute to all my brothers everywhere. And thank you President Trump for creating it. March 29.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,362 ******

Well said, sir.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Darn, I forgot about it. They probably had a dinner at the American Legion and a free sandwich at the Mission Barbecue. I don't think it was mentioned at our monthly unit's vet's dinner last week either. Vietnam was very pretty from the air.

• Options
    Butchdog3Butchdog3 Member Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all who served.

Listening to Toby sing American Soldier right now.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,698 ******

Around 1967, I was in the 8th grade. They announced over the PA that Ronnie Sparks, who had graduated a couple of years earlier, had been killed in Viet Nam. That's when the war began to hit home.

Thank you to all that served.

• Options
    rivethookrivethook Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

A pray tonight for my friends who didn't come home.

• Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

If my father was alive to hear of a separate Vietnam veterans day, his blood would boil. He was a veteran of Burma. I figure he earned the privilege to feel the way he did.

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your service.

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭✭

I was active at the time, but thankfully never had to go there.

• Options
    Merlinnv12Merlinnv12 Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭✭

I was a perfect candidate for the draft, but somehow skipped out. A few of my high school buddies went over there and a couple of them didn’t come back. I also lost my favorite UNCLE in that ridiculous war. My deepest respect for all those involved and who came back and were treated like crap. That never should’ve happened!

“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate.”
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

Notnow, 100% in agreement with your post, my question is, isn't one Veterans Day enough ? I think Trump and a few other politicians might've been on a guilt trip creating this holiday due to the fact they played hooky. I served parts of 69/70 and don't feel I need any special recognition, lets save it for those that gave it all up.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,597 ✭✭✭✭

I really forgot about it.

My departed BIL was there as an army ranger

After the war, he was never the same per my wife , and his family

By the time I come along I did get to know him but his comfort had turned to drugs and ahcol and continued to a spiral to his death

Sad he was such a good fellow. I know evey one deals with such issues differently, but the path he chose was not a good one

RIP Gene

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30

I was discharged 10/6/1965 from the army. So I served in the Nam era. The army made me, because of my background a 0810 - draftsman MOS. I was stationed at F. Monroe the CONARC headquarters back then and the only thing I felt was important was that I drew up the invasion plans for the Cuba invasion. This wasn't the failed Pay of Pigs but the big one. Naturally it never occurred. Because I was stateside and not over in Nam firing my M-1, I've never felt that I was a real viet vet. I salute the guys that were. I should add that I was about 5 years older than the guys I was with in basic in Ft. Knox. I always felt out of place.

It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭

Not true, Jeff. You took the same oath and you served. The fact is that most of the ones who went there never fired a weapon or got shot at. You could have done the same job there and it wouldn't have been much different.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30

David Crowder was my buddy on the wrestling team, and football team at Chamblee High. He joined the Marines in 1968 and went to 'Nam. David saw some combat. Rest in Peace, Buddy.

https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/40013

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭

And four months later I got my dear John letter, and Jodie got my girl.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30

October of 1969, a bad time to go in. We had 19,000 Americans die in the war that year.

I had six high school buddies in the Marines over there, I have heard more than one story about Jodie.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭

Allen, I was there at that time (Army) I saw at times coffins stacked on scorching hot runways ready for shipment back home that looked like those containers we see stacked on ships, that's a gut punch that gets your attention fast, the numbers reported and the visuals just didn't add up. Yep, Jodie was the real deal but he probably did a lot of favors that eventually backfired on his * 😀

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭

I go out of my way to say thank you to the Vietnam Vets.

I tell them, they made sure those of us who followed have always come home treated with dignity and respect.

Job well done Nam vets!

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭

I should make something clear before someone gets the wrong impression. I got drafted, but I didn’t go to Vietnam, I went to Germany. But Jodie still got my girl.

• Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭

If you enlisted or were drafted, you did what they told you and went where they sent you. My Basic Training buddy, USAF, 1968 got orders to Vietnam as a door gunner Jolly green Giants. Me, trained as an aircraft electrician and sent to the United Kingdom for three years.

I've always wondered what they did with him after his tour. I can't think of another place that they needed door gunners back then….

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭

Hillbille, i have to agree with you 100%. My dad was a Medic in WW2 and i know he would not be upset about a separate day for Vietnam Veterans for exactly the reason you mention.

My 1st cousin and childhood fishing buddy Calvin did not make it back to see his wife and infant son. He would have been proud of a Vietnam Veterans Day. I visit his marker often and i can tell you the pain in my heart for his loss never goes away.

I was Enlisted/Active Duty during this Era and somehow by the Grace of God I did not have to go over there. I see no need to quibble over a Vietnam Veterans Day. Those veterans deserve all the honor and respect the US citizens can bestow on them.———————————-Ray