In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

USPSA gun opinions?

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 30 in General Discussion

So the local gun club is dropping their Defensive Pistol discipline and it looks like I'm going to have to start shooting USPSA. I'd like some advice on which gun to use and which division I should compete in. I've got a Glock 23, a 35, and a 24. I don't imagine the 23 would be great. The 35 has a set of Dawson Precision sights on it and the 24 has factory Glock sights. I have six 15 round and four 10 round magazines that fit the 35 and 24. Lots of 13 rounders for the 23.

Whaddaya think?

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭

Start by picking your division.

You could shoot production with the G23, but you will be running against guys shooting 9mm.
    The problem with USPSA production is you are limited to 10 rounds in your mags and you don’t get major/minor power factor points.

With the 34 or 35 you will shoot (I would recommend, either limited minor with the 34 or limited Major with the 35. This will allow you to fill the mags to capacity.

With these choices I would shoot the 35 in limited major, you will get more points for the same hits & it already has the Dawson sights installed.

Have fun!

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30

Thanks for chiming in, @Warbirds !

I did a little fat * up above. Where I wrote 34 it should have read 24, that's corrected now. All three guns are .40's.

Other than the sights, would there be a reason to choose one over the other?

• Options

Given the choices, I would shoot limited major with the G35 unless you’re more confident with the G23.

You will have tough competition in that division though. It will essentially be guys running open guns without optics.

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭

I have only shot production and revolver. Has been ten years now retirement might take me back to the range.

• Options

Get out there @dunbarboyz and have fun!

• Options
    RossoRacerRossoRacer Member Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

I'd be running a GI-spec 1911A1 or a SAA, haha.