In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My Adventures at UPS Today

GrumpyOldManGrumpyOldMan Member Posts: 3

With my income low and outgo high and getting higher, I had decided it might be a good time to sell a bit of iron that was gathering dust in the closet.

I have purchased guns through GunBroker, and found that process pretty simple. So I thought selling might be at least a straight forward process. The hassle seemed to be the shipping part … so I ventured out today to see what shipping via UPS would involve.

First stop, a UPS shipping center, big shipping complex but with a customer service desk. After a bit of discussion the clerk told me that I, as an non-FFL shipper, would have to have a prepaid shipping label from a licensed dealer. To then be attached to the goods to be shipped.

Second stop, a strip mall UPS store. Clerk was a young guy, but pretty bright fellow, but he told me that his store did not ship firearms as a policy set by their independent store owner.

Third call to a local BIG gunshop in hope of getting a bit of clarity … well, the shipping guy was not in, but he suggested just letting them ship it for me … for only about $100.

Then I called UPS. After about a 20 minute callback wait I was connected, asked about guidelines for shipping firearms, put on hold while I was transferred to HazMat shipping. Nope, not their area, transferred again … (probably to an offshore service center - heavy accent), and was told only licensed dealers could ship via UPS.

I assume that GunBroker has not become the GunShop exchange network, so set me straight. Do i just have to plod through UPS stores to find one that will accept the shipping task, yes I understand shipping to the FFL dealer of the buyer's choice with a copy of their FFL in hand …

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't use them but have heard good things about

www.shipmygun.com

you might check them out

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭✭

You don't have to be a FFL to ship a rifle or a shotgun. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped to a FFL from a non-FFL as long as there are no restrictions on the firearm in the receiving State. Handguns are always FFL to FFL no matter what. As for declaring what's in the box, ship the firearm without ammo, call it sporting equipment and no hazmat sticker is required.

Here's the document, straight from the ATF website:

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭

UPS and FedEx aren't seeing it like that they are pushing FFL shipping only.

• Options
    GrumpyOldManGrumpyOldMan Member Posts: 3

I see GunBroker has some sort of offering with FedEx, anyone tried that?

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭

Do it USPS unless it is a pistol. You can ship that way unless the other end says they will accept only from an FFL dealer.

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6

About two years ago took some shotgun parts to UPS distribution center in Chester NY. Copy of FFL in box and in my hand. Clerk would not accept. Said I had to be FFL dealer and showed me hand written policy behind him on wall. There was no receiver with parts. Clerk refused to accept.. Asked to speak to manager who was rude. Asked him if hand written policy was Andrew Cuomo's policy or UPS Corporate policy. He turned and walked away.

My advice, unless you are a FFL dealer, don't waste your time with UPS. I never have a problem with USPS on long guns. ——————————Ray

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭

I just shipped two rifles last week USPS to and FFL dealer. It cost me $35 for each rifle and each was insured for $500 each. All that is required is that you have a copy of the FFL dealers license you’re shipping to in the box with the rifle, and show the clerk a copy of the receiving FFL. dealers license.
    Remember who ever you decide to use, package the firearm as if the people handling the package don’t care, because they don’t .

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭

A couple weeks back, I was trying to ship some defective ammo back to the plant. Tried 3 UPS 'vendors' without results. Finally went to the local delivery hub and just walked into the drivers' break room. The delivery supervisor(?) steered me to the correct shipping station and I got the package shipped w/o further problems.

When I was a Postmaster, I also had my FFL and did a lot of firearms shipping. It wasn't that difficult or confusing for someone familiar with firearms to follow regulations.

• Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,690 ✭✭✭✭

You need me to come get them and do my thing? I'll do what I can to help!

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭

I ship parts all the time with my online UPS account and it doesn’t ask what’s being shipped. Just print a label and drop off , no issues. I did not think shipping parts was not acceptable?

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

I shipped some long guns to Locust Fork, via a Fedex Shipping Center; I used shipping labels that she sent. As soon as the scanner output appeared on the manager's cash register screen, he knew exactly what I was shipping & immediately scanned the rest of the shipment. I offered him a copy of Locust Fork's FFL, but he waved me off. Nothing could have been easier.

All FedEx stores are company owned, so no problems like UPS franchises.

I check my Fedex stores for hours open & their pickup times. I don't want to leave my guns in an empty store over the weekend.

Neal

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

got to have a special account to ship now for the last almost 2 years now i cant ship guns less than 75.00