In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 1917 Army Question

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******

Is the number stamped on the butt the actual serial number, or is it the number stamped on the frame in the crane cut?

I always thought it was the former, but a Gunbroker user contacted me and told me it is the latter.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Quote from U.S. PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS: S/N's 1 to 154,800, marked on bottom of butt along with "U.S. ARMY MODEL 1917," NOTE: Colt's commercial serial numbers from NEW SERVICE production will be found inside the cylinder crane recess and on the inside surface of the crane itself. These numbers will match each other, but will be approximately 150,000 higher than the military S/N on the butt. Good luck.

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******

So which do you put in the bound book and on the 4473?

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited April 7

Since this is a U.S. Army military issue I would think the SN on the butt is the official SN. That SN is associated with the U.S. Army logo. Just my thought.

Put another way, The Colt Model 1917 Revolver was contracted by the U.S. government for a specified quantity and a serial number bloc to match that quantity.

• Options
    tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭