In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win. 1873 musket

elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭✭

I just purchased one from G.B. How many were made? Are they as desirable as the rifle or carbine models? The pictures and description look to be about good plus with a shootable barrel. I paid $2,400. Strangely there were no other bids. How did I do? Ed

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭

I looked at sold auctions and did not see yours that sold for $2400.? Post a link and let's see.

• Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited April 10

Muskets were a military version of the 73 and other models were made in musket form. They are not as collectable as rifles and carbine since they are not considered cowboy guns. Muskets account for a small percentage of the 73's, about 2.5% according to my research. Aback in the 50's there was a large cash of new muskets found in a warehouse in South America and were brought back to the US . They are in the 570,000 serial range. They were new in the crate but many had salt air damage but some were mint. Back in the late 80's they were selling for about $1500 when I bought one and now those are selling for $8000 to $10,000. Some of the mint ones were changed by unscrupulous guys and converted to mint carbines. The price of the muskets don't go up as fast as the rifles and carbines. Pictures would be needed to tell what its worth.

Bob

NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11

1039835005 Thank you, hope this helps.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1039835005

• Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭

The gun looks in decent shape. The wood has been cleaned with rounding of the corners. It was priced right.

Bob

NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I was at the Tulsa gun show last week with a friend. He walked a ‘73 musket around all day Saturday. Gun is 98%, mint, with like new bayonet, asking $6k, some lookers, no offers.