In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The feasibility of another hobby...

Hello folks…

I can't believe I'm considering this hobby (target shooting) after all these years. WAY back 'in the day' I was in the National Guard Reserve going through 'Advanced Individual Training' (AIT) in MP School at Fort Gordon, GA. That's back when the MP handgun was a .45. I think less than 35% of our company qualified with the weapon, and that was optimistic, as our company Captain helped us out with carefully placed pencil holes in our paper targets.

There are significant obstacles probably preventing me from doing this:

• Our apartment complex does not allow firearms (could I store handgun in locker at firing range?)
  • The BOSS will murder me if she learns of this ill-fated plan of mine
  • It would be a tough financial road to navigate, with lots of expenses already in our life-

(I will need to accurately calculate ALL expenses of this potential activity- we are both retired)

Your input is encouraged. Appreciate positive feedback. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Ruger4meRuger4me Member, Moderator Posts: 3,390 ******

I have a few degrees but was never a member of a fraternity so I don't know if this is a gag or not, but I did feel it was lame enough to not respond too until @dunbarboyz made me laugh a little bit.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭

In the words of Tom Waits in his song.

I don’t want to have to ask for permission ,,,when I want to go fishing……I don’t want to have to ask for no key.

• Options
    Gunnut358Gunnut358 Member Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭

Better to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission.

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,091 ******

Good advice from NEO

• Options
    Athletic AnchovyAthletic Anchovy Member Posts: 9

Hey Neo

I should have been more specific. As I said we're retired, and where we live is a 3-tier multi-service facility, independent over-55, assisted, and memory care.

Thx for input about the .22.

• Options

Yes, I agree. Thanks.

Ruger4me…

"…lame…" "…a gag…"

Well, that's nice of you to say. You have such a way with words.

I'm a new guy to the site asking questions.

• Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭

Whatever you chose, I’ll warn you that shooting sports are addictive. Pistol shooting can lead to shotgun sports and high power rifle shoots and so on. Better scores require better firearms and more practice which requires more ammo etc…

It’s a lot of fun but it can escalate quickly. If you have the discipline to stick with just one and be satisfied with what you have then I say go for it.

• Options

Athletic Anchovy well welcome to the forums. I'd recommend to have thick skin and some high boots if you plan to stick around, it can get rather deep here sometimes…🤣

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭

The 22LR (rifle or handgun) is your best friend for low cost and availability. And there are so many options, I couldn't even begin to give advice on which one is best at a given price point.

If you're afraid that the apartment is gonna come down on you for owning a firearm, go the airgun route. They can be more expensive to get into but they're not firearms (by US code 921a-3) and you'll find them extremely accurate and fun to shoot.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options

Thanks, Mark.

I'll check the local shooting ranges. Possibly they have lockers where I could keep the pistol? As the newest 'noob' here, I have no idea if that could be done.

• Options

Thx, Kevin.

Just starting the research, and there are some cool .22's out there. Of course, the 9mm CZ Shadow 2 and compact are way cooler! (I'll need to pull some $ from my 'Iran-Contra fund' stash, ha!). So far on YT I've enjoyed some of 'Honest Outlaw's vids.

• Options

Thanks, Walter.

If I get involved with this I'll have to be careful, as I have had the habit over the years of once getting into a new hobby of becoming a bit of a fanatic. Somewhat of a 'What's worth doing is worth over-doing' attitude…🙄

• Options
    Kevin_LKevin_L Member Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭

You're welcome. Have fun with the research and keep us in the loop on what you're trying out.

"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 🍺 🇺🇲 🍔

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,431 ******

My last name is HALL and I have learned that my ancestors changed it from the name Hallick! 😲

My motto has always been "Everything in excess!" 😁

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭

There comes a time when a man needs to make his life simple, dump your apartment and wife, then your good to go. 🤔…………………………………………….😀

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******

I suppose if firearms prove to be cost restrictive and you can't work around the storage restrictions, or the boss's restrictions, you could just buy targets and punch pencil holes in them. Did you learn from your company Captain or not?

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited April 26

So, I found a gun club w/ indoor/outdoor range in Rhode Island that has storage lockers for handguns, etc. It is within 25 minutes of where we live in Connecticut. I'll probably be joining within 3-4 weeks.

I just started the process of getting permit/license. The bureaucracy/paperwork is torture. I'm scheduled for the required safety pistol course next week.

I'm searching the web for reviews of .22 target pistols. Leaning to at least a 4 1/2" to 6" barrel. The list of possible pistols so far… Taurus TX 22 Competition SCR / Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Tactical / …and if I hit the Powerball, the Volquartsen Scorpion or Black Momba 😐️😄

Looking for top accuracy, ease of breakdown for cleaning, and not heavy (I'm old & weak). I've noticed that it seems customized pistols (like the Tandemkross) cannot be shipped to my home state. So, if that's what I wanted, the FFL would need to be in RI (next door to us), correct?

Thx for any input… -the old rookie

• Options

Not knowing how it was customized or what commie state you live in, but likely if it can't be shipped there, you would be breaking the law getting it in another state and bringing it in yourself. I can't imagine a receiving FFL in another state transferring it to you, in any case. That's a no-no.

And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options

". I've noticed that it seems customized pistols (like the Tandemkross) cannot be shipped to my home state. So, if that's what I wanted, the FFL would need to be in RI (next door to us), correct?"

Pretty sure you can't do that, but someone more familiar with the laws will probably come around and clarify.

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭

The Ruger Mark 22 caliber pistols are well built and accurate. They also will function for quite a few rounds before needing a thorough cleaning. You could probably find an earlier Ruger Mark1 or Mark2 at a fairly reasonable price.
    I can’t give you advise on RI or CT laws as I’m not familiar with them. I would advise talking to an FFL. dealer in your state, and inquire about taking a gun over the RI state line. In Illinois for example, there are some guns now that need to be registered. However people traveling through the state, that are not residents of Illinois, and are traveling to another state can possess them in their car as long as they’re cased and in the trunk.
    Bottem line, be well informed of the laws, never assume anything.

• Options

The "commie" state I live in is Connecticut, and that is stated in the first sentence of my post. Did you not read it?

• Options
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭

My daughter loves her Browning Buckmark. Very accurate if memory serves.

• Options